UPCOMING SHOW-AND-TELL WITH LENA GOH

INTERVIEW WITH DIGITAL FILMMAKING STUDENT – LENA GOH

Lena is a digital filmmaking student who interned with Marina Bay Sands (MBS) for 10 weeks under the 2015 ADM internship programme. She was attached to the organization via the ADM database of companies. All companies under this ADM database are companies who are already looking and eager to provide internship experiences to our ADM students !

Lena will be sharing with everyone her internship experience in person on the 28th of January 2016, 12:00pm @ Library Cinema Room . Do come by and listen to what she has to say!  She will be there to answer questions and provide useful advises! Meanwhile, below is a sneak peek of Lena’s experiences with MBS!

What first got you interested in the ADM internship programme?
“Internship is 6 AUs worth? Hmm…” Spending the summer break earning some money, doing cool new things at work while adding value to my resumé, and even shaving off some AUs? Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

What was the most memorable experience during your internship?
Just experiencing the whole running of the company, really. I chose a pretty big company that has about 9000 employees, so it was pretty cool to see how everything was run and how they try to unite their employees through various company activities.

I mean, it was a huge corporate organization that was run based on both Singaporean and American laws.  It is the company culture that every employee, no matter what their position is will be introduced as a ‘team member’ of the organization. Regular events are often held for all team members. For instant,  there was a dinner invitation to all muslim employees to break Ramada fasting together. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to participate in such events during my short stint there.

What was the coolest/weirdest/craziest thing that happened while on the job?
I think the highlight would easily be meeting celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay in person for a video shoot. Gordon Ramsay came to Marina Bay Sands (where I was interning) for the opening of his new celebrity restaurant Bread Street Kitchen. The whole video production crew worked like clockwork trying to get things done quickly and precisely so we wouldn’t have to keep Gordon waiting.

I was basically the intern doing a bunch of simple technical things on set like running to retrieve extension cables, taking down lights and adjusting the props. I was also clapping the slate in front of Gordon’s face !

What would you say is the biggest takeaway from the entire internship programme?
A cool experience and I made a really good friend. She’s a full-time staff at MBS whom I worked very closely with in the second half of my internship. She was greatly helpful in making my time at MBS worth looking forward to each day, by sharing advise with me what to take note of when working with certain colleagues and also connecting me with some other fun colleagues from other departments !