Recently, I was asked to conduct a workshop on creating video and my immediate response was “I thought anyone is able to create a video using his/her mobile phone”. As mobile apps become more powerful and functional, so are video taking and editing apps. That’s the reason why iPhone Film Festival (IFF) is on her 4th screening.

Below is a movie “A Short Journey 4S” filmed by “The Film Artist” in London with a iPhone 4S. “The Film Artist” is well-known on Vimeo as a Master in shooting smooth iPhone Video.

Below are 3 free video editing mobile apps that I find pretty easy to use and yet comprehensive enough to trim clips, separate and mix audio, enhance voice and mash different medium (images, audio and video) into a video.

wevideo icon #1 – WeVideo

WeVideo lets you create great videos simply by dragging and dropping your videos, trim and choose from a set of pre-made themes to customise a unique style for your video. You can create an account for free or link it to your Facebook, google or yahoo account. The default video editing setting is basic but you can always go advanced when you are ready. The free version will more than suffix for you to create a few short videos and though it doesn’t allow you to download, you can link it to your google drive to “save” your created video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBd2PAUUduU

Supporting OS : web, android, iOS

https://www.wevideo.com

imovie icon #2 – iMovie

Like WeVideo, iMovie makes movie-making faster and more entertaining with just a tap and a swipe to edit, add effects and creating a soundtrack. With a 64-bit architecture and a streamlined look, the app version functions just the same as the desktop version. Though the interface does look a little different for the one installed on iPad, iPhone and on Mac. If you are using iPhone for video taking, I think this should be your default movie editor. It also has quite a number of trailers and movie themes that you can use to create a quick video montage mashing up photos and videos in one.Supporting OS : iOS

https://www.apple.com/sg/ios/imovie/

VIdeoShowIcon #3 – VideoShow

At first glance, VideoShow gives an impression that it is rather basic but surprisingly, I was able to do quite a lot on this “simple” app. I was able to extract audio from video clips and trim my video clip. Though the trimming is a little restrictive as you can only trim the start and the end of the video clip and not in-between. But I workaround by re-importing the videos again and then trim the other parts. It works just find. The completed video can be exported to your mobile device or Facebook or youtube. You can also add multiple text in different colors, sizes and add in fancy video filters to give that unique style to your creation.Supporting OS : android

VideoShow

VideoShow

Adding and customizing text

Adding and customizing text

Trimming a clip

Trimming a clip

Do also take a look at my earlier posting on 13 Tips on how to create a video to create your perfect video. 😉

Image Credit : cc licensed (BY-ND 2.0) flickr photo shared by Mr.TinDC