NTU to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) in Yishun

Yesterday I had a meeting at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH). It’s a bit far, but I thought I would cycle there. I left NTU at around noon, with my pockets filled with google maps to make sure I would not get lost. I did need to check the maps on a few occasions, but it was relatively easy to find my way. The beginning of the ride is particularly lovely because it is through open countryside – actually, it is more cemeteries and army camps than open countryside, but at least I felt I was riding through countryside, and could see an open sky.  It is quite difficult to get the sense of the open road in Singapore – the distant view is blocked by trees (good) or buildings (not so good). Finding my way through Choa Chu Kang was the trickiest. Mandai Road and Mandai Avenue are the longest stretches (even went past the Zoo entrance!). What was surprising was how little traffic there was – admittedly it was not rush hour, so I found the ride very enjoyable.

Anyway, my route is shown below:

NTU_to_KPTH

It took just over an hour for the 27 km. KPTH is really beautiful. I have not seen many hospitals, but KPTH is certainly the most magnificient I have ever seen, with lovely open public areas and a sense of space. I liked the wood flooring in the central garden. It was a good place to eat my picnic lunch and to cool down. Of course on the day I also cycled from home to NTU (19.5 km) and from KPTH back to home (another 19km) so I cycled more than 60km yesterday. The ride home from KPTH was in the dark, and in heavy traffic, so not so pleasant.

Overall, It is a great feeling to know that this ride is quite feasible on a working day – I will probably do it again sometimes.