Graduate Studies Blog

Ngo Thu Tran (Deborah) MSc Acc, Class of 2018

I am currently a Master of Accountancy (MSc Accountancy) student at the Nanyang Business School (NBS). This is my second time receiving professional and academic training from NBS, having previously done my undergraduate studies here, where I majored in Business Administration. I am originally from Vietnam, and Ho Chi Minh city is my dear hometown.

After I graduated from NBS in 2014, I pursued my first job at IBM Singapore as a Graduate Consultant, specialising in SAP FI (Financial Accounting) Consulting. My job as an SAP FI Consultant has nurtured in me a strong interest and determination to pursue Accounting career in the long term. My stint at IBM allowed me to gain a good understanding about accounting transactional practice at the client’s enterprise, mostly from the perspective of Accounting Information System, i.e. how the IT infrastructure is built to support the accounting function. However, being a former Business Administration student, I yearn to explore the Accounting area more from the business perspective instead of from the technical system’s point of view. Hence, I decided to go back to school again to relearn the basics. The MSc Accountancy programme allows me to gain a greater appreciation of Accounting, from the perspective of a true Accounting professional.

The MSc Accountancy progamme offered by NBS is naturally my first choice because the Accounting division of NBS is well-renowned for its long and illustrious history. The prospect of learning from world-class professors, interacting with batch mates and gaining deeper insights of Singapore Financial Reporting Standards (adopted from IFRS) are additional factors that pull me into this programme. At the same time, this programme is no easy breeze either. The programme is structured intensively, with lots of team projects and other assessment components, requiring hard work and consistent efforts. I can’t even recall how many nights I have burned the midnight oil since enrolling into this programme. However, being out of my comfort zone is good for my own personal development – this trains me to be more competitive and ready when I rejoin the real working life later.

Having spent a decent amount of time living in Singapore, I have learnt a lot and grown both personally and professionally. Singapore, being a melting pot, has allowed me to interact with so many people from different walks of life, seeing different sides of the world through their lenses. I have learnt to respect and embrace the diversity here.

So far, it has been an amazing experience for me at NBS. I have understood many practices in accounting that I did not fully grasp earlier. I have been exposed to new concepts and practices in Accounting that I was not previously aware of. I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this programme and the NBS family (again). I hope to embark on a career in Accounting after I graduate from the MSc Accountancy programme, and I am absolutely confident that I will be able to apply what I have learnt in NBS and put it into practice at my future employers.

Learn more about the MSc Accountancy programme.