Course Coordinator and Instructor

Dr. Judith L. Walls, Assistant Professor, Course Coordinator and Instructor
Dr. Judith L. Walls
Assistant Professor

I joined Nanyang Business School in January 2013, and was previously an assistant professor in Concordia University (Montreal, Canada). As well as being an assistant professor at NBS, I’m also a faculty affiliate at the Asian School of the Environment, and a research fellow at Arizona State University’s Center for Organizational Research and Design (CORD).

My formal education consists of an MBA from the National University of Singapore and a PhD from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, New York).  I completed a two-year post-doc at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan) with the Erb Institute for sustainable enterprise.

I teach AB0603 Business Gone Green at undergraduate level, and also coordinate a PhD course on business sustainability, which focuses more on academic research of sustainability. I’m active in the NBS’s Centre for Business Sustainability, where I run an interdisciplinary research seminar that invites top scholars to NBS to hold research talks. If you have an interest, you can see a calendar of upcoming talks here.

Research, as you may know, is a huge part of a professor’s life. My research looks at corporate governance, especially the role of board directors and top executives such as CEOs in management of sustainability. I often take a more behavioral approach to this research, and have looked at socio-psychological factors such as how experience, backgrounds, values, and emotions of board directors and top executives affect environmental sustainability outcomes of companies. I have also looked at ways to measure environmental performance, and collaborative efforts such as industrial symbiosis. My work has been recognized through several awards, as well as top publications and research grants. As part of the research process, I serve on several reviewer boards of academic journals. In the global scholarly community, I’m actively involved with three top conferences that focus on corporate sustainability, where I serve in the executive leadership team or on the board.

Before I became an academic, I spent seven years at Thomson Financial (now Thomson Reuters, previously Technimetrics) in London, Singapore, and Sydney. I worked in the research, consulting, and new business development departments for corporate clients that sought to access institutional investors. I was extensively involved clients in the semiconductor, airline, construction, telecom, and online/internet businesses. During my PhD and post-doc, I did independent consulting work for

I also worked with the Cheetah Conservation Fund in Namibia over a five year period, on a voluntary basis, where I was an operations manager and business consultant. I am still actively involved in wildlife conservation in my spare time, and have helped out with several projects in Mongolia and Botswana.

I have been teaching sustainability courses since 2008, and try to keep in touch with past students via social media. If you are interested, you can follow my Facebook Page where I post updates of things happening in this space. Hope to see you there!

To read more about me you can also access:

My NBS academic profile

My LinkedIn profile

My Google Scholar profile

Course Instructor

Mr. Joseph Wan Chew Yoong Consultant - NBS
Mr. Joseph Wan Chew Yoong
Consultant – NBS

Chew Yoong joined the School of Accountancy in NUS in 1984 and moved to NTU in 1987 when the School of Accountancy was relocated to NTU. He served as Associate Professor in Strategy with the Division of Strategy, Management and Organisation and retired on June 2016. He is currently appointed Consultant, and continue to teach in both the undergraduate programmes (AB 0603 Business Gone Green and AB 3601 Strategic Management) and the post graduate MBA programmes (B6841 Crisis Scenarios and Contingencies). He has also served as Head of the Division of Marketing and International Business.

Before joining academia, Chew Yoong was a regional tax manager and financial advisor to a multinational company in the oilfield industry as well as a general manager and company secretary of a finance company. His consultancy and research specialization lies in strategic planning for MNCs, design of management control systems, strategy formulation including industry and competitive analysis and business turnaround situations. He is also actively involved in developing crisis scenarios, early warning systems, contingency planning and crisis management for security agencies and corporations.