Gawdawpalin is a large two-storied structure with a sikhara top. It resembles other large structures such as Thatbyinnyu, Sulamani, Htilominlo, etc. The temple is located in the southwest corner of the old Bagan city wall. The Bagan archaeological museum is only a five minute walk away from this structure. Entry to the upper story is forbidden; the tower of the temple was severely damaged in the 1975 earthquake and was completely replaced the following year. The temple likely dates to the 12th century; the dating is based on Gawdawpalin’s similarity in plan and structure to Sulamani which is dated to 1183 based on a stone inscription found in situ. Gawdawpalin similarly has green glazed plaque decorations, although most of the ones on the base no longer survive. The murals in the temple have largely faded, but based on the faint traces, it appears that the designs are similar to those found in Htilominlo. These comprise largely decorative patterns. None of the original 12th century murals remains. Much of the interior walls are covered by a tan-colored wash. The exterior of the temple has also undergone whitewashing.
Click on the photo below to enlarge gallery.