You can connect to the school network printers and make them accessible to your smartphone and tablets using Google Cloud Print. To make use of Google Cloud Print, you will need a Google account, a printer connected to a computer or the network and Google chrome web browser or a smartphone app that supports Google Cloud Print. This system works great for web pages, Gmails, Google Docs in your Google Drive, Word documents, PDF files. Here’s the steps to add network printers, to print and share your printers via Google Cloud Print.
Adding Network Printer(s) to Google Cloud Print
- Go to Google Chrome in the computer that is connected to your printer. For work place or school, just make sure you are using a terminal that is connected to a network printer that you wish to connect.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar > Settings
- Scroll down and click Show advanced settings
- Under Google Cloud Print, select Manage print settings
- Login with your google account
- You will see all the printers connected to the computer that you have logged on
- Select the printers you want to connect, and then click Add printer(s)
Printing via Google Chrome on your iPad (iOS environment)
- Open Google Chrome to print a web page or Google drive to print a document
- Click Chrome menu on the browser toolbar > Print
- Select Google Cloud Print
- Select the printer you want to send
- For printing PDF, XLs, PPT or word, use Google Drive or access your Google Drive via your Google Chrome
- For Google Chrome app via Android that does not have this option, use third party app e.g. PRINTER SHARE
- If you are connecting to a NTU network printer, to ensure that your ID gets authenticated (e.g. MPS and student network printer) is linked to student or staff ID, please make sure that you are connected to NTU network when sending your print job. I did a few rounds of test and the system seems smart enough to identify you for subsequent printing via your own mobile 3G after the first round.
Share your Google Cloud Printer
- Go to Google Cloud Print management page
- Login to your google account
- Click Printers on the left column
- Select the printer that you want to share
- Click Share on top menu
- A pop-up window will appear, enter the email address of the person or Google group that you wish to share the printer under Invite people
- Click Share
- To disable sharing, repeat steps 1-5
- From the list of users in the prompted window, click on “X” beside the name of the user whom you wish to disable sharing.