Experimentation I

First time using fabric dye and I am so glad to have my eldest sister around to guide me along. She suggested using this dripping method to have a relatively unique effect as compared to tie dye.
For this first experiment, we did three different ways:

1.

Sprayed wet entire fabric / Slow dripping motion x2 / Dry a little / Layer 3 fast drip

Working on the shiny side of satin. The dye was absorbed by the fabric really quickly and it was rather difficult to get control of it. It soon appeared like the tie dye designs I see so often in the market.

2.

Begin with dry fabric / 1 fast drip + spray immediately after drip / 1 fast drip /
Dry a little / Layer 3 fast drip

Working on the shiny side of satin. The drips were easier to control and they tend to go down straight, unlike 1, which tends to spread around too much, creating patches instead of lines. Not just that, the details of 1 doesn’t stay as well as 2.

3.

Same steps as 2. Working on the matte side of satin, we wanted to try and see if the colours look more vibrant on a matte surface. The effects were pretty good too. However, the dye seem to slant across the fabric (probably because we flipped over the other side without the dye settling). The colour looked the same on the shiny surface and on the matte one. When we turn over to the shiny surface, it seems less vibrant as the dripping was not done directly on it.

My sister and I came to a conclusion that 2 was the better method. Next, I will be trying a few other methods in intensifying the blue with fabric paint. Giving the fabric more depth and when the LED shines through, there’ll be more interesting visuals.

#ANG HWEE CHIEH#

2 Comments