Process, Development and Final Words

Conceptual development started on the theme, Biomimicry, and as above post mentioned, we narrowed it down to a design that emulated the possible future of GFP (Green Fluorescent Protein) from phytoplankton in the mapping of the human body. The skirt is modelled after the flanges of the lymphatic capillary. The waistband of the skirt was sculpted with inspiration from the avant garde, to give a sculptural contrast to the fluidity of the skirt. Neoprene was the material of choice as it reflected the use of neoprene wetsuits in the ocean, and was sturdy enough to provide some structure.

This post will contain videos as links, due to the inability of this medium to display embedded .mov files.

Processed with VSCO with a4 preset

Here is a picture of me painting the dress in watercolours with my trusty sewing machine (from Walmart) in the background. As an illustrator this was somewhat familiar territory.

Processed with VSCO with b5 preset

Above are sketches of the work. EL Wire was used to make the ribbing that went around the skirt.

The intention was for the EL Wire to glow and respond to the presence or absence of light. Pictured is my EL Sequencer, and its connection to a lily pad light sensor.

photo-27-10-16-6-54-21-pm

photo-7-10-16-5-34-59-pm

look at my very pointy solder 😀

I ran into problems when my EL wire came from different batches and did not glow equally bright.

But with the help of Naga, SGBotics and my very cooperative parents, I managed to exchange the wire for one that was equally bright. I then sewed everything on and this culminated in the Techsense Exhibition at ArtScience Museum.

Result: The Techsense Exhibition

The Techsense Exhibition was the culmination of all the hard work put in. This was the first time I had ever exhibited my work, and it was, all in all a very exciting experience. The gallery my work was exhibited in had ambient light, but was still dimly lit, resulting in the light sensor picking up the low levels of light and making the dress glow.

photo-28-10-16-10-55-27-pm

photo-28-10-16-10-40-18-pm

present presentation

The Fashion Show

Processed with VSCO with b5 preset

The entire experience was also finished off with a fashion show in ADM. Before this, we also had our pieces shot by a photographer in the ADM Photo studio (will update this post when I get the pictures!)

I would like to thank

Naga for the tech support. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Galina for helping so much with everything. And I mean everything. From concept to development, to  helping me with scary zips. And moral support

Benjamin Neo for bringing me food and sustenance such that I didn’t starve while sewing and cutting, and for taking the most of the photographs.

Joanna Ang for taking the only picture of me that I could get at the ADM fashion show.

Vimal for vanilla sparkles and makeup advice

Calvin for the help with my board when I literally lost my sanity and stabbed it with a soldering iron in an epic bout of rage.

Max Goh (Hi dad, here’s your credit) for driving me around with my giant suitcase and funding this reckless foray.

Published insharing

Be First to Comment