WordPress Widgets serve to add content and features to the sidebars in the blog. In addition, they are used to control the design of the blog, especially for the sidebars. The default WordPress widgets are post categories, tag clouds, navigation, search, etc. Examples are the default widgets that come with WordPress such as post categories, tag clouds, navigation and search etc. More than one widget may be available, depending on the theme in use. The widgets include footer widget, sidebar widget and secondary sidebar widget etc. Plugins will usually add in their own widgets.
For the settings on widgets, you may go to Appearance -> Widgets. If the theme in use supports widgets, the widgets will appear.
(The Widget Panel)
Choose a widget and drag it to the desired sidebar location. (Note: More than one sidebar may exist.) WordPress will update automatically after the widget is added. Refresh the blog to view the newly-added widgets in the sidebars. You may return to the widget panel if you would like to add more widgets.
Drag up or down to the preferred location to change the order of widgets
Click on the down arrow at the upper right corner to access the widget interface for customization. Click on ‘Save’ to save any changes made to the customization.
Click on ‘Remove’ or ‘Delete’ to remove the widget.
Text Widget is one of the most commonly used WordPress widgets and made available in the widget panel. It allows users to add text, video, images and custom lists etc, to their WordPress blogs. In addition, it holds a variety of CSS, HTML, XHTML and multimedia links and players, such as video and object embeds.
- Drag ‘Text’ to the preferred location.
- Click on the down arrow to open and edit the widget.
- (Optional) Input a title for the widget.
- Add text, embed code or HTML code in the box provided. You may edit the content in the box anytime.
- Select the option ‘Automatically add paragraphs’ to wrap every block of text in a HTML paragraph tag (recommended for text).
- Click on ‘Save’ to save the changes made.
- Close Text Widget and refresh the blog to view the changes made.