Lesson 12 Resin

What is the technique?

Resin is a solid or liquid synthetic organic polymer which are being used as the basis of plastics, adhesives, varnishes, or other products. Objects can be encapsulated within the resin, and object of many different shape can be created through this technique.

What are the relevant materials needed for the technique?

• Resin
  • Hardener
  • Mold Release and Conditioner
  • Mold( must be able to withstand heat)
  • Glove
  • Mask
  • Chopsticks
  • Plastic Cups
  • Electric weighing machine
  • Paints, inks
  • Things to encapsulate in the resin(be creative!)

How to achieve the technique?

*Note* must be done outdoor, because the resin release poisonous gas when hardening.

1. Wear glove and mask.
  2. Spray a layer of Mold Release and Conditioner to prevent the resin from sticking to the mold.
  3. Place a cup on the electric weighing machine
  4. For every 100gram of resin add 4 gram of hardener. ( add more hardener to create a cracking effect)
  5. After desired amount of resin is weighed, add acrylic/ink if coloured resin is desired.
  6. Mix the mixture evenly.
  7. Pour the mixture into the mold and add object that you wish to be encapsulated.
  8. Allow the resin to harden.
    *Note* the resin release a lot of heat when it is hardening

The process of pouring into mold shouldn’t take too long because when the resin starts to harden, the speed is very fast.

What are the uses and applications of the technique?

This technique can be used to create accessories, ornaments, toys, etc.

Photos

Resin before mixing with ink

Experimentation result

Own personal reflections

I really like this method because I am able to create beautiful piece of work which look like glass and yet is resistant to fall and drop. Through mixing different object and paint into the resin, very interesting effect could be achieved.

What I found most interesting in this method is that even when the resin starts to harden, do not fear, because it can still form very dynamic shape which looks like flowing water.

Also the heat released from the resin hardening softens and changes the shape of the mold I used( made from PVC sheet from vacuum forming) . This in fact was a happy accident as I end up achieving more organic shape in the end when I redo with the same mold.