Lesson 7 Field Trip- Touch Print

Own personal reflections

The trip to touch print was very informative as I not only learn about many different way I could make use of the Digital Transfer using Magictouch, but also clarify the problems I faced when using the method.

The speaker taught us many different ways where we could integrate technology with Digital Transfer, and also the many different types of Magictouch papers which can allow many different possibilities. Such as the use of spray adhesive, with RST transfer paper(applicable on wood and acrylic) would create better effect than CPM6.2, and is possible without heat press.

——————-
Digital Print with RST transfer paper

Without heat press

1. For wood, spray adhesive three times
  2. Then press the transfer paper onto the wood
  3. Wait for 10~15 min
  4. Spray with water and peel off the transfer paper.

With heat press

1. Place the transfer on the wood
  2. Set up the heat press machine to respective temperature for wood.(refer to Lesson 2)
  3. When the heat press machine is hot enough, heat press.
  4. Spray water and peel off the transfer paper while hot.
    ————————————–

After talking to the speaker, I realised that the reason why my Digital Transfer didn’t come out as I was expecting was because I didn’t apply enough pressure onto the print, and also to allow printing on darker material, special printer that prints white ink was required. In addition, to prevent design from becoming distorted when remove the transfer paper, pull according to the grain of the shirt, where the shirt doesn’t stretch. For fabric, it’s also good to heat press/iron it first to flatten before transfer.

Another interesting thing I learnt from the field trip was that the speaker also taught us some basic printing knowledge such as the differences between CMYK and RGB (additive and subtractive). And the reason why K is present in CMYK but not just CMY is because black is most commonly used in printer and it is cheaper to have K, than to layer CMY.

Overall the trip was very fun and I learnt a lot within the short 1~2hour.