|Research Fellow & Lecturer. Division of Sociology. Nanyang Technological University. Singapore (February 2015 – present).
Postdoctoral Fellow & Lecturer. Centre for Engineering in Society. Concordia University. Montréal (September 2012 – December 2014).
Nanyang Technological University
My academic interests are trans-disciplinary and bridge urban and environmental geography, Asian studies, urban studies and community-based development. Currently I am a Research Fellow and Lecturer at Nanyang Technological University where I work in an interdisciplinary team studying the social and psychological impacts of noise and vibration in a high density neighbourhood. I have a PhD in Urban Planning and Design from the University of Hong Kong (2013); and have also served as a Postdoctoral Fellow and Lecturer at Concordia University (Montréal 2012-14), where I studied the multi-scalar politics of Indian urban infrastructures. My current research interests include: future cities; comparative Asian urbanisms; trans-local civic environmentalism; urban infrastructures & technologies; urban informatics; and neighbourhood geographies. I am able to draw upon diverse practitioner experiences working inside the United Nations system, governments, the non-profit sector; and urban planning consultancies in Toronto and Vancouver.
- Ph.D. Urban Planning & Design. University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2013.
- M.R.M. Resource & Environmental Management. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, 2002.
- B.Env. Studies. (Honours) Urban & Regional Planning. University of Waterloo, Waterloo, 1991.
- Visiting Fellow – Topology of Technology Faculty, Technische University Darmstadt, Germany, Nov – Dec 2013.
- Visiting Researcher – National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi, India, March – August 2013.
- Visiting Fellow – Center for Asia-Pacific Area Studies, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec 2008 – April 2009.
- Policy Researcher – UNDP North East Asia HIV-AIDS Regional Project, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, May – August 2000.
- Researcher – U.N. Development Programme & U.N. Agenda 21, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Sept 1997- April 1998.
- Coordinator – Mt. Waddington Community Futures Society, Northern Vancouver Island, Canada, 1991 – 1995.
- Lecturer – ‘Cities & Urban Life’; ‘Ethnicity & Ethnic Relations’, Nanyang Technological Univ., Aug 2015 – May 2016.
- Lecturer – ‘Impact of Technology on Society’, Centre for Engineering in Society, Concordia Univ., May – June 2014.
- Teaching Assistant – ‘Urban & Housing Theories’; ‘Cities & Globalisation’, University of Hong Kong, 2008 & 2010.
- Mentor, Asian Summer Institute – Centre for Asian Studies, University of Hong Kong, May – June 2008.
- Lecturer & Program Coordinator – Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan, May 2005 – December 2006.
- Instructor – International College & Education Center (YMCA), Taipei, Taiwan, February 2004 – December 2006.
- Teaching Assistant – ‘Global Enviro Change’; ‘Resource Management Theory’, Simon Fraser University, 1999 – 2001.
- Research Fellow – Engaged in studying the sociopsychological impacts of rock blasting and construction noise and vibration in a high density urban neighbourhood. This study is part of an NTU interdisciplinary project funded through the “Land & Livability National Innovation Challenge” (L2NIC) Singapore Prime Minister’s Office (November 2015 – February 2017).
- Co-Researcher(with Satyarupa Shekhar Swain) One of two enlisted researchers participating in a ‘Strengthening Information Society Research Capacity Alliance III’ project, “Can citizen’s ability to access, participate and collaborate in urban services make the urban governance system more trustworthy?” Approved funding NTU-SIRCA III & IDRC (April 2016 – May 2017).
- Collaborator – One of an interdisciplinary team of collaborating scholars for Associate Professor Hallam Stevens’, MoEAcRF Tier 2 Proposal, “Big Data in Asian Society” (declined for funding by the Singapore Ministry of Education, 2016).
- Sadoway, D. (2016) Workshop Initiator & Organizer, “Memes, schemes and dreams: Singapore urban futures,” An international workshop supported by NTU-HSS and the Global Asia Research Cluster (June), http://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/singurbanfutures/.
- Sadoway, D. & Levanda, A. (2016) Panel Initiator & Co-Chair, “Importing and exporting worldly urbanism – The challenges of studying the global circulation of city models, best practices and imaginaries,” Panel for ‘The Transgressive City,’ RC21 (Sociology of Urban & Regional Development, International Sociological Association Conference), Mexico City (July 21-23).