URECA x ECL AY20/21

Here are some thoughts and reflections from our ECL members who have completed the URECA programme!

Celine Tay Shi Qing

Taking on URECA has given me a fulfilling experience – one that has enriched my understanding of research processes. Under the valuable guidance of my mentors, I was able to stretch outside my comfort zone by learning how to integrate computational knowledge into my project. Through this, I am thrilled at the possibility of incorporating such computational methods in future studies. Undergoing URECA has also provided me with ample opportunities to sharpen analytical and writing skills. Given that this project was my first, it was interesting to use statistical software outside of ordinary curriculum. Overall, though the learning curve was steep in the initial stages, URECA was certainly rewarding and allowed me to catch a glimpse of the work that researchers do.

Er Jia Yun

My URECA journey has been a very fulfilling one as I had the opportunity to work closely with my mentors and was involved in the entire research process, from data collection to data analysis and finally, producing a research report. Under the guidance and support of my mentors who are experienced and knowledgeable, I was able to hone my research and writing skills. This experience has also equipped me with various statistical software skills, which I find to be useful and valuable. As I have always been interested in research, this experience has been enjoyable as it revealed to me what it is like to be part of a research lab. I would strongly recommend other like-minded students who are interested in research to take up the URECA programme as it is an eye-opening experience like no other.

Choo Jing Wen Germaine

Although URECA was daunting at the start, it has become one of the most fruitful and enjoyable experiences for me in NTU to date! The team has been incredibly supportive and I have learnt so much from all of them. It was really exciting to participate in data collection and conduct statistical analysis. The lab meetings made me more aware of recent studies and gave us an opportunity to present our posters which provided great feedback for improvement. I would encourage my juniors who are interested in research to take on a URECA project as it has helped me grow in my research skills and my interest in research has definitely grown too!

Koh Xiao Ting Anne

URECA has been a very enriching and eye-opening experience. I have been able to learn and experience more than when being a research assistant in the lab, such as in presenting research papers during lab meetings, conducting testings, research analysis and writing. Our mentors gave us a lot of guidance and support which I am very thankful for, and helped me to slowly gain and improve my research skills. I have learnt a lot more about research through the URECA experience, and am very grateful to have had this opportunity!

Tan Lay Hui

My URECA experience in the ECL lab was a very enriching one due to the guidance and extensive exposure to different stages of research. In particular, I was able to partake in the literature review, data collection, data analysis and conduct experiments in both physical and virtual settings. With the prompt and detailed guidance from my supervisor and co-supervisor, my research capabilities have improved greatly. Although it was overwhelming at times due to the lack of experience in research, the support from my URECA peers and my supervisor has made the research experience more manageable. In my opinion, the URECA programme is essential for anyone who is considering to be a researcher in the future.