Our Team

Lab Director

Peipei Setoh, Ph.D. 
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY

Nanyang Technological University,
Psychology, School of Social Sciences
48 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639818
Email: psetoh@ntu.edu.sg

NTU Faculty Page
Google Scholar Profile

Graduate Students

Tasha Soh, M.A.
PH.D. STUDENT

After obtaining my BSocSci (Hons) in Psychology from NTU, I pursued a Master’s degree at NIE, where I explored sensitive parenting within the BE POSITIVE cohort. Watching the varied interactions between parent-child dyads deepened my fascination with the relational dynamics between parents and young children, and sparked my interest to uncover the ecology of Singaporean families. This led me to pursue an interdisciplinary PhD, where I aim to investigate the ecology of parenting in Singapore, starting with the concept of filial piety. Outside of my academic work, I enjoy watching Formula 1 races (with Spa being my favourite track) and discovering new places that serve delicious pasta with close friends and family.

Johanna Ruess, M.Sc.
PH.D. STUDENT

After completing my MSc in Psychology at the University of Vienna, I am now pursuing my PhD at the Nanyang Technological University here in Singapore. My research interests have always circled child and adolescent mental health, including parenting practices, self-harm behaviours and socio-cognitive development. During my free time, I enjoy various sports, and for recovery, there is nothing better than a good book and a cup of tea.

Zhan Lin, M.Sc.
PH.D. STUDENT

I hold a Master of Science in Business from the National University of Singapore. After ten years working in the finance industry in both Singapore and London, I decided to pursue my PhD in developmental psychology at Nanyang Technological University. My passion lies in building happy and resilient children, exploring what predicts their achievement, and understanding how achievement relates to mental health and well-being. When not working, I enjoy traveling and spending time with my family.

Petrina Low, B.Soc.Sci
PH.D. CANDIDATE

I obtained my BSocSci from the National University of Singapore and am now working towards a PhD in developmental psychology at Nanyang Technological University. In general, I’m interested in how parents and parenting make an impact on children’s development. Currently, my research looks at the parenting practice of parenting by lying and how parents use these lies, as well as how children perceive, understand and are affected by parental lies. A related line of my research is in the bidirectionality of the parent-child relationship—how parenting practices influence children’s attachment and socioemotional resources, and vice versa. Outside of research, I also enjoy media about mysteries, origami, knitting and trying different types of tea.

Jordan Legapsi, M.S.
VISITING FULBRIGHT SCHOLAR

I am a visiting 4th year PhD candidate from the University of Massachusetts Amherst conducting research with the ECL Lab as part of my dissertation. Broadly, I am interested in the cross-cultural development of racial and national identity socialization and the cognitive heuristics that underlie these constructs. I really look forward to exploring all the wonderful culture, places, histories, and food that Singapore has to offer for my time here!

Research Staff

Germaine Tng, Ph.D. 
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW

I obtained a PhD (Psychology) from Singapore Management University, where I grew interested in how parenting practices influence children’s socio-cognitive development. As a postdoctoral research fellow, I study how family environments influence children’s cognition, socioemotional development, and mental health. I am also passionate about understanding how socioeconomic stress affects children and families as a whole. To recharge, I enjoy pilates, discovering new brunch spots, and spending time with animals!

Meryl Yu, B.A.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

I graduated with my BA in Psychology (Honours) from Yale-NUS College in 2022. One of my main roles is to lead GUSTO and SPRESTO clinic testing. On the side, I contribute to projects on filial piety, parenting by lying, and academic motivation, with the aim of developing my skillsets in longitudinal modelling and analysis. In my free time, I enjoy sipping coffee and taking my dog, Bunny, for long walks!

Lab Alumni

Yena Kyeong, Ph.D. 

Sharon Ting, BSoc.Sci. 
MASTER’S STUDENT
University College London

Mioko Sudo, Ph.D. Early Cognition Lab
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY
Hitotsubashi University

Ying Qing Won, M.A. 
PH.D. STUDENT
University of Melbourne

Winnie Chau, M.Sc.
ASSOCIATE PSYCHOLOGIST
Rainbow Centre Singapore

Siqi Zhao, Ph.D. Early Cognition Lab
VISITING SCHOLAR
New York University

Kristy Lee Jia Jin, Ph.D. Early Cognition Lab
RESEARCH FELLOW
NUS School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics

Michelle Cheng, Ph.D. 
CONSUMER RESEARCH AND INNOVATION SCIENTIST
No7 Beauty Company

Shirley Zhang Lijun, Ph.D. Early Cognition Lab
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF MARKETING
Leeds University