For more than 20 years, Li De Yan helped to build Singapore with his bare hands.

During the growing years of Singapore’s construction sector in the 1970s and 80s, he mixed cement, laid bricks and built houses across the country.

And for the past two decades, the retiree has turned his attention to building bridges among the elderly people in his neighbourhood.

At 78, his hale and hearty demeanour is surprising, given his life of hard labour.

These days, he spends his time volunteering at the Kembangan-Chai Chee Seniors Activity Centre, next to his rental flat, where he lives alone. He is one of the oldest volunteers at the centre.

Mr Li helps other people in whatever little ways he can. For example, he delivers meals to immobile elderly residents twice a day.

Rental flats in the area are equipped with a bell system at every lift lobby. Mr Li said: “If a neighbour has any problem, he will ring the bell and anyone who can hear it will go overNo matter what I am doing, if I hear the bell, I will rush to help.”

I also help because I get help from the centre too.” Recently, Mr Li received household products like a 3M non-slip mat during a community event. “These programmes and free items help go a long way for me.”

To cover his expenses, Mr Li has been working part-time, helping to clean a traditional Chinese medicine shop nearby. “It is not a lot, but we need to be content with what we have,” he said.

Only then can we find happiness in simple things, like helping others.”

Read more here.

Source: The Straits Times, 25 July 2018