As a striker for his football team, 17-year-old Imran Naseer is used to outrunning defenders. Yesterday, however, he had to endure moving around at a slower pace.

He and some 120 other teenagers from the Woodlands Youth League were tasked with going grocery shopping on wheelchairs or crutches.

They were also made to wear blurred vision goggles, gloves that lessen touch sensitivity and marbles in their shoes to mimic the pain of arthritis. It was part of a workshop to get them to understand what it feels like to be old and disabled.

“I realised the neighbourhood is not as disabled-friendly as I thought,” said Imran.

The Woodlands Youth League is an eight-month-long futsal programme that aims to empower 12-to 18 year-olds through sport and other community projects.

As part of the programme, the teenagers participated in a sharing session held by the Agency for Integrated Care and Asian Women’s Welfare Association to learn about ageing and disability issues.

Goh Yan Ting, 15, who visits his grandparents every day, said: “They often complain that they wake up feeling aches. As I walked with marbles in my shoes, I got a better understanding of what they may be going through.

Read more here.

Source: The Straits Times, 15 July 2019