A summer to remember

Looking back at my holidays, I had a truly enjoyable summer exchange at the University of Technology of Troyes in France.

Together with the other NTU students, I took two modules, Project Management and European Culture. These classes were conducted with American exchange students from Michigan, Buffalo and Binghamton. Every weekend, the university would also bring us to different places in France to experience the “French” way of living.

Paris

Our first weekend was in Paris. We did everything a tourist could possibly do, such as climbing the famous Eiffel Tower. Our experience would have been more enjoyable if the winds weren’t so strong, though!

gf1

gf2

gf3

gf4

gf5We also tried the infamous (or famous – I personally liked it a lot) escargot.

gf6Another one of their exotic delicacies – stir-fried frog legs with garlic.

Adventure weekend

The university also brought us to the city of Evian, next to Lake Geneva. There, we enjoyed a breathtaking sunset.

gf7

We had a rather extreme weekend paragliding over the Swiss Alps, whitewater-rafting over the rapids, zip-lining across a waterfall, and rock-climbing over the amazing scenery. And I’m not a very “sporty” person!

gf8

gf9

gf10

Champagne

Troyes is situated in the Champagne region, which is famous for, surprise, surprise, its champagne. We visited an authentic champagne cellar, a vineyard, a stained glass workshop, as well as a beautiful old castle.

gf11

gf12

gf13

gf14

Disneyland

A few friends and I planned to go to Disneyland Paris on our own on one of the Sundays. Disneyland Paris is rumoured to be the most neglected of the Disneyland parks, but I had the best day of my life.

gf15

gf16

Nice

On the last weekend of our exchange, we explored France on our own. A few friends and I travelled to Nice, which is located in southern France. This place is just gorgeous. It is well-known for its world-famous ice-cream, beautiful beaches and flower market! Needless to say, this weekend passed too quickly.

gf17

gf18

gf19

gf20

gf21

gf22

Troyes

And how can I forget the place we lived in: Troyes. It’s a small and peaceful town. The slow pace of life was something that I really enjoyed. People end work at about 5pm, and most shop owners take a mandatory two-hour lunch break. The last bus to the residential areas is at 8:30pm and it takes an hour to briskly walk back! Nevertheless, I found it such a beautiful place and prettier than Paris.

gf23

gf24

gf25

gf26

gf27

Making the news

Coincidentally, this year is the 10th anniversary of NTU’s partnership with University of Technology of Troyes. We were invited to meet the mayor of Troyes, and were treated to a sumptuous French dinner. The media were present when we met with the mayor’s representative. We were shocked and surprised to read about our visit in the newspaper the next day. It was a first for most of us, so we were all super excited about making the news in a foreign country.

gf28

Great friends in Troyes

I am thankful for the amazing French friends that I’ve made. They made us feel welcome in a foreign land where English is hardly spoken. We appreciate their hospitality and I, for one, cannot wait for them to visit Singapore so that I can show them around!

gf28jpg

gf29

gf30

gf31

gf32

gf33

As much as I miss my French pals, I am happy to be back in NTU with my crazy bunch of classmates. 🙂

Comments? Email us at hey@ntu.edu.sg