Me under a tree in Taiwan | Source: Natalie Chua

Good day! Thank you for visiting my blog 🙂
My name is Natalie Chua, this blog is done as a project in my Conservation Psychology class.
Somethings about me, I love nature as its beauty never fails to awe me.
I find comfort and joy in being near nature. I sometimes think of plants and animals as my friends.
I am a psychology major in my third year, I did conservation psychology is because i’m curious about the reasons for which some people seem to have no care for the environment at all, while others care so much for the environment through their lifestyles, and the ways in which we may motivate people to engage in sustainable behaviours.
Why this blog topic?  
My inspiration for this blog started from a story. One semester, I did a marketing module, and I came across an article about NTUC Fairprice saving 10.1 million plastic bags in 2015 by offering 10 cent rebates to people. I then did some research on the impact of plastic bag production and consumption on the environment. I was shocked at how much natural resources it takes to manufacture plastic bags, and I was also puzzled as to why a rebate as little as 10 cents (it is a very small amount to majority Singaporeans would be able to motivate people to bring their own bag to such a large extent. I wonder why a minute amount of monetary rebate seem to motivate people more than conserving the environment – which in fact is of so much more value to plants, animals and even the future of human kind. I was quite disturbed. Also, I used to consume a lot of plastic disposable containers for taking out food since I dislike eating at the canteen due to the crowds and the smell of food. One day, I stopped and tried to count how many plastic containers i use in a week. I believe it can go up to 20. I felt so bad to the environment, and felt like I was doing injustice to the Earth. From these experiences, I realised how detrimental Singapore’s high levels of consumption and production can be towards the environment. I believe that we are in a position of power to choose more environmentally friendly lifestyles, and to engage in significant efforts towards conserving the environment. I chose this topic wanting to explore more of the consequences of our daily habits, and ways in which we can do conserve the environment in our daily lives in Singapore.