About Writer

Hey there, I’m Shi Ying, or more known as Pamela! I am currently in my 3rd Year of Psychology studies at Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

Giant clams seem to be a weird animal to work on since they are not something you would label as cute or cool or amazing, just by the looks of it. However, they had me fascinated during my first encounter with them. I was staring at something that was pretty, purple and moving with the water currents (the mantles) and thought they were corals. All of a sudden, it started to close up. The mantles were slowly retracting and awhile later, the shell was exposed. It was only then did I realise that it was a clam and not a coral. I asked people around me if they knew of such an animal, and not many knew about them.

Try looking for the giant clam amidst the corals. Source: Pamela Tan

When this blog assignment came, I knew it was a good chance to spread the word about the giant clams. Deeper research into the giant clams taught me that they are very important reef animals yet facing the problem of declining numbers. Henceforth, I knew that I had to do on the giant clams. I had to let people know that not only animals that move are important. These long-living sessile animals – giant clams – are cool and important too!

Scroll below for a cute video of a clownfish clowning around when I was trying to take a video of the giant clams!

Thank you for reading my blog! Let’s all do our part for these giant clams!  (: