Things Bloggers won’t tell you

When I was doing my research on this topic, my immediate response wasn’t to ‘hit the books’ (but of course, I eventually did). Instead, I went to YouTube, keyed in “Zero Waste” on the search bar and let the YouTube algorithm do the rest. I did this for a couple of reasons. One, knowing I was going to vlog about my own zero waste challenge, I wanted to gather some pointers on how to make the video. Two, the rise in popularity of the zero waste movement was chiefly due to its online prevalence. In other words, the mainstream population gets most of its information about the zero waste movement from online sources, particularly video content by vloggers and content creators. And because these individuals often serve as role models for potential zero waste converts, it got me thinking how accurate they portray the change in lifestyle to be. 

Based on my personal experience with the challenge, here are five things bloggers probably won’t tell you about living zero waste:

1. How much you actually have to bring around

This isn’t that surprising. If you don’t want to use plastic utensils, you bring reusable ones. If you don’t want to use plastic grocery bags, you bring a tote bag. If you don’t want… You get my point. This list includes, but not limited to,  water bottle, reusable straw, tumbler/reusable cup (for that morning hot coffee), lunchbox, handkerchief, etc.

On their own, these things tend to be pretty light but they accumulate in weight and next thing you know, you’re carrying a camping bag. With all of these things to bring on a daily basis, you will inevitably forget to bring one of them, which brings me to my next point.

2. The struggle with reusables

One thing that vloggers don’t shine much light on is the added inconvenience of washing your reusables that comes with opting out from the easier and more convenient disposing of single-use plastics. You have to wash your reusable after. Every. Single. Use. Unless you bring a bottle of dishwashing soap and a sponge with you (on top of your reusable), this will have to be part of your nightly routine (see image below). Naturally, you have to leave them to dry after washing them. This wait occasionally leads to forgetting. 

Photo by me

Fortunately, this is less of a hassle in Singapore, food-wise, since Hawker centres and school canteens already employ a reusable plate and utensils system but da bao containers are a different story. If you can afford to, you can avoid generating waste if you dine in. Drinks, on the other hand, are still predominantly served via plastic or paper cups if one does not immediately hand one’s reusable cup to the drinks stall auntie (or uncle).

3. Zero waste is an added commitment

Zero waste isn’t just a commitment, it is an added commitment. I’m hedging my bets that a majority of the viewers of these zero waste challenge videos are not bloggers themselves, which means that there is more to their priorities than just being less wasteful, be it studying, working, as a homemaker.

Part of the reason why bloggers may make it seem easy is because, in a way, this is their job. We often forget that vloggers and content creators are paid to do this kind of advocacy work. It’s not a bad thing. They are nonetheless using their platform to raise awareness for a good cause. However, the mismatch in expectations and reality may make it difficult for a typical student or a worker to sustain such a lifestyle given that their benchmark is someone whose livelihood revolves around being zero waste. It pays to be cognisant of this misalignment.

4. You do NOT need to buy that

Photo by me

Bloggers will take a good 1/3 of their entire video to tell you that you don’t have to rely on single-use plastic goods but spend the next 2/3 plugging in their purchase of a brand new plastic-free shaver, state-of-the-art double-wall water bottle, coconut husk bowls made by an eco-friendly organisation that you just have to support! Not to mention, their matching set of reusable utensils, food container, straw and tumbler. Sometimes, ironically, bloggers may have a tendency to nudge you into buying aesthetically pleasing objects in place single-use goods you are used to. You don’t need to have a complete overhaul of all your single-use goods to make room for more environmentally-friendly products. If you do want to buy anything, make sure to put those single-use goods to use; they’ll end up in the bin regardless.

In its very essence, the zero waste movement champions minimal, necessary and mindful purchases because less purchase also means less trash. You do NOT need to buy a beautiful mason jar to be part of the zero waste movement.  Any kind of jar or container you already have at home will do. Trust me. For instance, when I made liquid from bar soap, I used milk bottles (left image) to store them rather than buying new containers. It’s not as glamorous but it works just as well, I saved money and I didn’t have to make an unnecessary purchase.

5. Almost impossible to be absolutely zero waste

Let’s say you do practice every step of being zero waste: you bring your reusables, you buy your groceries with a tote bag, you avoid purchasing anything that has non-reusable, non-biodegradable packaging, you’re generally mindful of any kind of purchase you make and you might even be making compost out of your food scraps. That’s great! In the long-term, you’ve avoided generating unnecessary waste for yourself.

Now, imagine a classmate or colleague asking you if you would like to tag along to try the new Samurai Burger at McDonald’s. You can refuse the offer this time but what about the second time, third time and so on? This sticky situation doesn’t just apply to friends. Would you refuse your family dinner if you knowingly saw that the ingredients used came in plastic packaging that would eventually end up in the general waste bin? I would guess not. 

Unless you go through great pains of divorcing yourself from social situations, which is unrealistic to say the least, you will undoubtably find yourself in a position where refusing may not yield the most favourable outcome. There are, of course, any number of other barriers to embark on a zero waste lifestyle but social interactions are rarely talked about in these platforms.

With all the being said, the reality of the Zero Waste Movement is more nuanced than just what you see in your laptop screen. Beyond minimising one’s waste, the movement encourages one to be mindful of purchases and most importantly, to strive for as little negative impact on the environment as possible (even if that means not buying that metal straw and opting for a plastic one).

Science-based Tips to Start your Zero Waste Journey Case Study