Singapore: Trees in Religion

Singapore: Trees in Religion

While Singapore is known for being highly advanced in technology, it is also well-known that the country takes pride in treasuring its roots. It is not uncommon to pass by temples, churches, and mosques down the streets in Singapore. As these are man-made facilities, I did some research to investigate whether there are any nature-related religious landmarks around the country that are still left untouched. In particular, I zoomed into the case of religious or holy trees that are still being worshipped.

Having found a few possible locations, I embarked on a journey to visit these sites and learn more about the connection between religion and the environment in Singapore. To find out the underlying reasons behind the connection between religion and trees, I interviewed some religious personnel as well. Click on the links below!

I also interviewed the Chief Priest of a Hindu Temple, who was willing to spend some time to share with me his perspectives about how nature as a whole is related to religion. The discussion was extremely captivating, and I have included some pointers from the interview in the link below.