About

The Blogger

In a society where advertisements are commonly utilized as a means of sending messages to wide audiences, the idea of conservation has been drilled into my conscious mind from a young age. However, perhaps owing to an excessive exposure of such advertisements, these issues and proposed solutions that were once action-inducing have since become just theoretical ideas that I am more than familiar with, but no longer feel driven to practice. Eager to rediscover the passion I once had for conservation, I therefore jumped at the chance of taking conservation psychology.

And that has led me to this blog, where I will be presenting an issue in conversation in light of psychology, to help others and myself come to a better understanding of nature and our role in its maintenance. At the end of the day, I hope to encourage a greater responsibility towards the natural environment for readers of this blog.

My name is Rachel Tan, and I hope that you will find your stay here both informative and interesting. Have fun navigating!

The Blog

Spanning a land area of 474,000 km2, Sumatra is the second largest island in the country of Indonesia, and has a level of biological diversity to match. It’s current population count stands at more than 45 million (comprising about one-fifth of the total Indonesian population), and it is home to several species of animals including tigers, elephants, rhinos and orang utans to name a few.

Today, Sumatra has come a long way to become a key player in the global economy, involved in the production of several raw materials such as timber, rubber, cinnamon and oil. Yet, the pursuit of economic gains for the country and Sumatran individuals has resulted in widespread costs to the natural environment and wildlife throughout the island. 

This blog focuses solely on the impact that these human actions have on the Sumatran tiger species, hoping to present the issue in a psychological context. Current conservation efforts will also be evaluated. These will be elaborated on within the links that have been provided at the navigation bar above.

One thought on “About