This course aims to equip Art, Design and Media students with the necessary skills to analyse, evaluate and make Art, Design and Media (ADM) texts, and discuss the importance of communicating. Students will consider the audience, context and purpose of academic texts, how such texts are structured, and key features of their linguistic presentation. Students will also practice presenting their own academic ideas to their tutor and fellow students.
The objectives of this course are to equip students with the necessary skills for communicating in the arts, design and media by:
- writing an exhibition review;
- producing an ADM project proposal; and
- delivering an oral presentation on an ADM project.
Upon successful completion of the course, the students should be able to:
- understand various approaches to reading and analysing academic texts relevant to Arts, Design and Media;
- write a review of an art exhibition, using relevant techniques of academic writing;
- write a project proposal using an appropriate and effective approach; and
- present their own proposal verbally in clear and concise fashion.