Superheroes and so much more

Batgirl was a librarianLike many people, this Labour Day Public Holiday, I went to catch the new Iron Man movie. Truth be told, I am a little bit of a fan when it comes to comic book heroes. I don’t collect the comics but I am always interested to see how different the movie portrayal of the character is from the actual comic book version. I look up books and visit websites to compare the differences and to read what people have to say. (I can’t help it, I am a librarian).

As I was looking up some information, I found out that Batgirl was actually a librarian. She was a librarian by day and crime-fighting super hero by night. Although the comic books did portray librarians in a stereotypical way, with the glasses, hair bun and boring buttoned-up suits, the comic book portrayal did get one thing right. That is, we as librarians will always come to the rescue when you need help with your resources, day or night. There is no rest for superheroes.

While superhero movies are always filled with action, excitement and interesting characters, these movies have a deeper meaning to them from a cultural and social perspective. These films bring forth the questions of power, politics and propaganda in interesting ways. It may not always be apparent to the movie goer but these messages are there.

So if you want to understand the deeper side of superheroes, here are some books and DVDs  in NTU Libraries that may interest you. Or if you want to catch up on your superhero flicks, here are some movies for you to watch.

Here a short animated film about Captain Awesome, see what he has to endure to be a hero.

About Debra Bernadette L’Angellier

Library
Bookmark the permalink.