News You Can Use – September 2014 – Issue 3

Selected news articles from ‘Singapore’ sources in Factiva.com (Issue 3 covers 9-16 September 2014). To read the full-text, search under Factiva.com (access for NTU staff/students). Not sure how to search? Click here.

Culture Vulture; A love letter to newsletters
Straits Times, 16 September 2014, 1198 words, Clara Chow, (English)
With the social media experience being unfiltered, the e-newsletter lets people opt for something and there is a thrill in opening it
Lately, I’ve been doing something previously unheard of among the Internet- savvy: I’ve been gleefully – …

Effective advertising and media excellence ; Proud achievements by the city’s leading media talents
TODAY (Singapore), 16 September 2014, 429 words, (English)
SINGAPORE — The Singapore Media Awards (SMA) is an annual event that celebrates the achievements and contributions of Singapore’s media talents.

Could the next Jay Chou come from China? ; Singers, songwriters look to China as next Mandopop hub
TODAY (Singapore), 13 September 2014, 1073 words, Hon Jing Yi, (English)
I love hate-watching The Voice Of China (VOC).
To be fair, the reality singing competition is superbly entertaining and has produced some real singing talents. But, sometimes, I simply cannot decide if the television show sets out to test …

No public screening of film on political exiles: MDA
Straits Times, 11 September 2014, 833 words, Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh, (English)
It says documentary distorts legitimate actions of country’s security agencies
A DOCUMENTARY film on Singapore’s political exiles is not allowed to be screened in public or distributed in the country because the Media Development Authority …

M’sian Facebook user jailed for offensive Hari Raya greeting
TODAY (Singapore), 10 September 2014, 450 words, (English)
KUALA LUMPUR — A 27-year-old Malaysian Facebook user was sentenced to one year’s jail yesterday after he pleaded guilty to making remarks disparaging Islam and the Prophet Muhammad.

About Law Loo Shien

I am with the Resources, Discovery and Access team at NTU Library. There was once I scored a D for an undergraduate module on Political Philosophy, but it was the best course I'd ever taken. It planted the seeds of intellectual growth, and gave me a framework to understand human nature.
Bookmark the permalink.