News You Can Use – December 2014 – Issue 3

Selected news articles from ‘Singapore’ sources in Factiva.com (Issue 3 covers 11-16 Dec 2014). To read the full-text, search under Factiva.com (access for NTU staff/students). Not sure how to search? Click here.

Authorities, gunman tussle for control of a news story ; Modern extremist groups see media as central to help spread political message, says…
TODAY (Singapore), 16 December 2014, 751 words, (English)
SYDNEY — From the moment a lone gunman took hostages at the Lindt cafe in Sydney’s city centre, he was guaranteed blanket media coverage. The cafe sits opposite the main newsroom for Australia’s most-watched television channel, the Seven …

Why I’m logging off Facebook
Straits Times, 14 December 2014, 802 words, Susan Senator, (English)
Washington – As the summer wound down, I found a letter from my son’s headmaster under some junk on my desk.
He was asking the kids to be sure to read two books over the summer. Oops, I thought. This was one I should have read immediately. …

POWER LIST 2014; Passion and power
Straits Times, 14 December 2014, 8716 words, Corrie Tan, (English)
Stories of standing up for one’s beliefs and chasing one’s dreams ring loud in SundayLife!’s list of movers and shakers this year
Some earned their position through wealth, new properties or takeovers. For others on the Power List 2014, it …

‘Doyenne of S’pore publishers’, 65, dies
Straits Times, 13 December 2014, 541 words, Akshita Nanda Arts Correspondent, (English)
Exec director of ST Press loses battle with cancer
STRAITS Times Press executive director Shirley Hew, a publishing veteran who discovered award-winning local writers Suchen Christine Lim and Colin Cheong, died at home yesterday morning …

Internet tax can hurt the economy
Straits Times, 12 December 2014, 937 words, Robert D. Atkinson And Ben Miller, (English)
WHEN you spark one of the largest protests in Eastern Europe since the fall of communism, you know that you have stirred up the electorate. That is exactly what the Hungarian government did when it recently proposed an “Internet tax” of 50 …

Dim Sum Dollies revue gets advisory
Straits Times, 11 December 2014, 1060 words, Corrie Tan, (English)
For the first time since the show started in 2002, it has been given ‘mature content’ rating
A satirical revue by the popular cabaret trio Dim Sum Dollies, which takes sly digs at Singapore life, has come under the spotlight after it was …

Fund to ride on China media boom
Straits Times, 11 December 2014, 727 words, Boon Chan Media Correspondent, (English)
Singapore-based fund worth $130 million will invest in projects ranging from film to theme parks
A US$100-million (S$130-million) Singapore-based fund for investments in China’s media and entertainment industry was launched yesterday.

About Law Loo Shien

I am with the Resources, Discovery and Access team at NTU Library. There was once I scored a D for an undergraduate module on Political Philosophy, but it was the best course I'd ever taken. It planted the seeds of intellectual growth, and gave me a framework to understand human nature.
Bookmark the permalink.