Business IT & Ops Management
The advent of computer-based information technologies, especially the emphasis upon process, system and code has enabled businesses (models and processes) to perceive that they, too, function as forms or subsets of Information Technology (IT). Today, everyone has begun to write computer programs to aid their business processes, even small and medium-sized businesses. This is part of the re-engineering of the business process. For example from a brick and mortar operation to a click and mortar one. A good case study is Amazon.com. The connections between IT and business has become so intertwined that a whole school can be dedicated to the study and research on Information Technology in the business environment.
Finding more about Information Technology
Every subject that is been taught has a beginning. You might want to start with Tom Green’s Bright Boys(call no. UG730.G798). Here’s a short video trailer on YouTube.
The book is useful in understanding more about the Whirlwind Project. As IT develops to meet more and more business and organization needs, it grew into an industry known as the Information Technology Industry. Here is a short video that illustrates the Information Technology Industry. It is produced by The Metro Denver WIRED.
I would also recommend Management information systems: using cases within an industry context to solve business problems with information technology by David L. Anderson. It complements the short video above. This book is located in the Business Library, call number HD30.213.A546.
Community of Practice
In NBS, a student club called NBS-SCS Student Chapter was launched on 22 September 2004 with the signing of a memorandum of understanding between Nanyang Business School’s (NBS) and Singapore Computer Society’s (SCS). Their objective is to strive to promote IT knowledge amongst their members, allowing them to become well rounded Information System (IS) professionals. It is now known as the NBS Business Analytics Club.
NBS has a research centre called Information Management Research Centre (IMARC) and is known for the research and executive education in the management of IT. This centre focuses on understanding, integrating, creating and disseminating new concepts and best practices in the management and use of IT in the Asia Pacific. IMARC has been actively engaged in joint research with a number of organizations, collaborating with researchers worldwide on publications. Their major research themes are listed below:
- Electronic Commerce
- Strategic IT Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Supply Chain Management
- IT Personnel Management : Careers & Competencies
- Management of the Outsourcing of IT & Other Business Functions
- Data mining, Data Modeling and Decision Support Systems
- Virtual Communities & Knowledge Management
The key association in Singapore is the Singapore Computer Society and another related non-profit organization is the Information and Knowledge Management Society (iKMS).
This subject guide is designed to assist patrons in locating information on the topic “Social Media and Information Goods” related to Information Technology. This is a select list of library resources: books, e-books, AV materials, and electronic journals. The last...read more
This guide is created by Eric Ge Liu and maintained by Edward Lim Junhao. This subject guide is designed to assist patrons in locating information on the topic “Sustainable Business” related to Information Technology. This is a select list of library resources: books,...read more
This guide is created by Eric Ge Liu and maintained by Edward Lim Junhao. This subject guide is designed to assist patrons in locating information on the topic “Introduction to Information Technology”. This is a selected list of library resources: books, conference...read more
Feel free to contact the library for your Research needs such as:
- Enquiries about library resources
- Requests for new resources
- Library orientation & tours
- Instructional classes
- Research Assistance
Tel: (65) 6790 5776
Whatsapp: (65) 8395 0629
Advisory and Consultation:
Get Expert Advice
NTU Library Homepage
Books are one of the best resources to go to when you are studying a new subject. Use books if you are looking for the following types of information:
- Broad overview or introductory information, for example,
- Electronic commerce 2008: a managerial perspective
Call No.: HF5548.32.E38ECM
- Computer confluence: tomorrow’s technology and you
Call No.: QA76.5.B414CC
- Electronic commerce 2008: a managerial perspective
- Several opinions from one place – collective essays and book excerpts, for example,
- Technology and values: essential readings
- Technology and values: essential readings
- Historical information where the facts do not change much over time, for example,
- The information revolution : the not-for-dummies guide to the history, technology, and use of the World Wide Web
call No.: TK5105.875.I57K41
- The information revolution : the not-for-dummies guide to the history, technology, and use of the World Wide Web
Books may not be very useful if:
- Your research need very recent or cutting edge information, especially in rapidly growing or changing subject areas
- The topic or subject is very specific and narrow
Journals are better sources of recent or cutting edge research information.
Browsing the Collection
The Information Technology (IT) book collection can be found in the Business Library. Some IT-related books can also be found in the Lee Wee Nam library under the classification numbers of QA and TK. The major IT subject areas and their respective classification numbers are shown below.
|Search Terms||LC Class|
|Contracting out (Industry)||HD2365-2385|
|Multimedia system in Management||HD30.212|
|Management Information System||HD30.213|
|Business enterprise – computer networks||HD30.37|
|Contracting out (Public contracts)||HD3860-3861|
|Technology innovation – employee participation||HD45|
|Wage payment systems||HD4926-4927|
|Business information services||HF54.5 – 54.7|
|Electronic data interchange||HF5548.33|
|Business Records Management||HF5735-5746|
|Electronic banking||HG1710 -1710.5|
|Expert systems (Computer science)||QA76.76.E95|
|Virtual computer system||QA76.9.V5|
|Health services administration||RA971|
|Decision support systems||T58.62|
|Information resources management||T58.64|
|Wide area networks (Computer networks)||TK5105.87|
|Computer integrated manufacturing systems||TS155.63|
|Flexible manufacturing systems||TS155.65|
Searching for books
Use the Library Catalogue to find books in both print and electronic versions. There are 2 interfaces you can use:
You can further improve your search results with these catalogue tips.
Select book lists by subjects
You can also find a list of books on a specific subject by searching the Library Catalogue under the appropriate subject headings in the subject field.
Example of subject headings:
E-books are the digital version of print books designed to be read on a personal computer or on an e-book reader.
Browsing by E-book providers
The major providers of e-books in the field of Information Technology are listed below in alphabetical order. Click on the titles to access. You may be asked to login with your NTU network username and password.
- Safari Tech Online
Safari provides online access to IT-related books from major IT publishers. The subjects available are mainly on Information Technology and Business for example, Artificial Intelligence, E-commerce, IT management, Graphics and Hardware.
Springer is a provider of online information services for scientific, technical, and medical (STM) books and journals. This includes access to e-books and e-book series in computer science and engineering.
- SciVerse ScienceDirect
ScienceDirect is a full-text scientific database offering journals, book series, books and reference works in many subject areas. It has more than 2,500 peer-reviewed journals and more than 11,000 books. This includes computer Science and engineering topics.
InfoSECURITYnetBASE provides access to over 40 information security publications suitable for IT professionals.
Searching for E-books
Reference books are special types of books to refer to when one needs quick and basic information. They are usually not read from cover to cover. Examples include dictionaries, handbooks, encyclopedias, yearbooks, abstracts, almanacs, biographies and etc.
Searching for Reference Works
Below are some samples of reference works. Some are electronic versions. Click on the titles to launch the titles. Others are print copies. Click to check availability and location.
- The Relational Database Dictionary: Extended Edition [electronic resource]
Call No: XX(610301.1)
- Data dictionaries for database administrators
Call No: QA76.9.D3V779
- The relational database dictionary: a comprehensive glossary of relational terms and concepts, with illustrative examples
Call No: QA76.9.D3D232C
- Dictionary of computing, 5th Ed. [electronic resource]
Call No: XX (349628.1)
- The dictionary of standard C
Call No: QA76.73.C15J22D
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems [electronic resource]
Call No: XX(628913.1)
- Encyclopedia of Algorithms [electronic resource]
Call No: XX(554292.1)
- Encyclopedia of information ethics and security
Call No: HM851.E56
- Hack attacks encyclopedia: a complete history of hacks, cracks, phreaks, and spies over time
Call No: QA76.9.A25C541
- Encyclopedia of computer science and technology Rev. ed.
Call No: QA76.15.H496
- The encyclopedia of networking 3rd ed.
Call No: TK5105.5.F297
- Concise encyclopedia of modelling & simulation 1st ed.
Call No: QA76.9.C65C744
- Embedded systems handbook: networked embedded systems 2nd ed. [electronic resource]
Call No: XX(624339.1)
- Computer and information security handbook
Call No: TK5105.59.C738
- The data access handbook: achieving optimal database application performance and scalability
Call No: QA76.9.D26G655
- Handbook of Database Security: Applications and Trends [electronic resource]
Call No: XX(551794.1)
What are library databases?
A library database is an electronic catalogue or index that contains information about published items. Most of the library databases are not freely available on the Internet and are specially subscribed by the library.
Library databases contain a variety of information from professional sources such as articles from journals, magazine, newspaper and trade publications. There are also conference proceedings, Business intelligence reports and financial data.
Library databases are searchable. By Keywords, Subject, Author, Title, Date and etc.
Library databases provide citation information:
- Title of Article
- Publication (Title of Journal, Newspaper, or Reference Book)
- Date of Publication
How is a library database different from a website?
|Scholarly content written by professionals or experts in the field.||Content on websites can be written by anyone regardless of expertise.|
|The content is reviewed by professionals or experts in the area.||Website content is not necessarily checked by an expert.|
|Library databases are updated frequently and on regular basis.||Websites often do not indicate when a page is updated. Your reference to them may be changed without notice.|
How to access Library databases?
NTU library subscribes to many library databases in a wide range of subjects. You can browse them at the database page. I have selected core and related databases for information technology and have listed them below.
- Gartner Core Research
Gartner is an information technology research and advisory company. Their focus is on technology-related insight geared towards helping their clients make the right decisions. Users include CIOs and senior IT leaders in corporations and government agencies, to business leaders in high-tech and telecom enterprises and professional services firms, and technology investors – over 60,000 clients in 11,600 distinct organizations. Gartner provides independent and invaluable perspectives on
- Markets: No access
- Topics: Access to all
- Industries: Full access to the following industries: Government, Education, Healthcare
Watch this video about Gartner: An Introduction
- Gartner Market and Competitive Intelligence
- Full access to Markets, Topics, Industries
- Industries: includes Banking & Investment Services, Insurance, Media, Energy & Utilities, and Retail and Manufacturing
- Schedule an Analyst Call (via Subject Librarian)
- Market Statistic Online (Hardware, Software, IT Services, Communications, and Semiconductor
The NTU Library subscription covers the Gartner Core Research and Gartner Market & Competitive Intelligence. If you are accessing Gartner Core Research and require access to “premium content”, pleaseapproach our Service Desk, Business Library (N2-B2b-07)
Gartner has special reports that are time-sensitive IT research reports focused on key issues in technology (since 2004). In addition, notable research methodologies include Gartner’s Hype Cycle, Magic Quadrantsand MarketScopes. Company Dashboard can be used to measure how frequently a chosen company is mentioned in Gartner’s published research, end-user inquiries and searches.
- Forrester Research
Forrester Research is an independent research company that provides advice to global leaders in business and technology, across three distinct groups: IT, Marketing & Strategy, and Technology Industry. Forrester provides proprietary research, consumer and business data, custom consulting, events and online communities, and peer-to-peer executive programs.
Other notable areas include the Forrester Wave™, and Data Explorer for their three products:
- Consumer Technographics (Global survey data on consumer technology adoption and behaviors)
- Forrester’s Forrsights for Business Technology (B2B survey data on technology buyers’ attitudes and plans)
- Forrester’s Workforce Forrsights (B2B survey data on how employees acquire and use technology for work)
- Synthesis Digital Library of Engineering and Computer Science
This is an electronic book resource that provides access to Engineering and Computer Science titles in the form of “Synthesis Lectures series”. It provides an introduction to new fields, current content on developments in research areas and advance topics. View its Database Information Page.
- Engineering Village
This platform provides access to multiple databases (Compendex, Inspec and NTIS) for the latest Applied Science and Engineering research developments. It also provides access to CRCEngNetbase and Referex e-book package, patents produced European Patent Office (EPO) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). View its database Information Page.
Springerlink provides access to journals, e-books published by Springer in the areas of Engineering, Computer Science and etc. View its database Information Page.
- Dissertations & Theses via Proquest
The ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) database has more than 2.4 million entries regarding theses and dissertations done in North America. It is a multidisciplinary database and covers a range of subject areas including Computing. View its database Information Page.
An academic journal is the dominant communication medium for disseminating and sharing research findings, particularly in the fields of Science and Engineering.
What are Journal articles useful for?
Journal articles may be useful when:
- Your topic is very recent. Articles, especially in newspapers and magazines, are intended to keep people up-to-date on the latest development in various issues, so they are very useful if you are tracking new developments and progress of a topic. For example, the most recent applications and developments of smart grid technology
- Your topic is very narrow in scope. You could be interested in something so specific that there will not be books written about the topic. For example, research on performance testing for XML Database based on TPC-C benchmark
Journal articles may not be useful when:
- You need background or overview information
- Your topic is broad or covers a long time span
How to access Journal articles?
There are a couple of ways to look for journal articles at the library:
1. NTU Library Subscribed E-journals A-to-Z list
If you have a specific journal in mind, search for its availability in our Library e-Journals List. There are three ways to search the A-to-Z list:
- Search for titles subscribed by the library. The search box can retrieve title of journal, ISSN, or subject
- Browse by Discipline
- Browse a list of free e-journals
In order to access the full text of the journal you’ve retrieved:
Click on the Availability to expand and present the databases that the journal can be found in and the period covered, and pick the appropriate link to proceed.
If you do not have a specific journal in mind, use the appropriate databases to search for journal articles on a specific subject or topic.
See the list of core journals mentioned by the ITOM faculty in NTU. Those mentioned are included in the tables below:
|Information Systems Research||Yes|
|Journal of Management Information Systems||Yes|
|Journal of the Association of Information Systems||Yes|
|Computers in Human Behavior||Yes|
|Decision Support Systems||Yes|
|European Journal of Information Systems||Yes|
|Expert Systems with Applications||Yes|
|Government Information Quarterly||Yes|
|Information and Management||Yes|
|Information and Organization||Yes|
|Information Systems Frontiers||Yes|
|Information Systems Journal||Yes|
|Information Technology and People||Yes|
|International Journal of Electronic Commerce||Yes|
|International Journal of Human-Computer Studies||Yes|
|Journal of Computer Mediated Communication||Yes|
|Journal of Information Technology||Yes|
|Journal of Strategic Information Systems||Yes|
|Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST)||Limited|
|Communications of the ACM||Yes|
|MIS Quarterly Executive (MISQ-E)||No subscription|
Operations Research, Management Science, Operations & Technology Management
|Journal of Operations Management||Yes|
|International Journal of Operations and Production Management||Yes|
|Production and Operations Management||Yes|
|European Journal of Operational Research||Yes|
|IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation||Yes|
|IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems (formerly “IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and Humans”)||Limited|
|ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation||Yes|
|Annals of Operations Research||Yes|
|Computational Optimization and Applications||Yes|
|Computers and Operations Research||Yes|
|Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making||Yes|
|IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (formerly “IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics Part C (Applications and Reviews)”)||Limited|
|INFORMS Journal on Computing||Yes|
|International Journal of Forecasting||Yes|
|Journal of Heuristics||Yes|
|Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications||Yes|
|Journal of the Operational Research Society||Yes|
|Mathematics of Operations Research||Yes|
|Naval Research Logistics||Yes|
|Omega: The International Journal of Management Science||Yes|
|Reliability Engineering and System Safety||Yes|
|SIAM Journal on Optimization||Yes|
|Computers in Industry||Yes|
|IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management||Yes|
|International Journal of Production Economics||Yes|
|International Journal of Production Research||Yes|
|Journal of Scheduling||Yes|
|Journal of Supply Chain Management||Yes|
|Manufacturing and Service Operations Management (M&SOM)||Yes|
|Production Planning and Control||Yes|
|Supply Chain Management: An International Journal||Yes|
Others (General Management, Organisation Studies, & Strategy)
|Academy of Management Journal||Yes|
|Strategic Management Journal||Yes|
This list is created after consulting the Academic Journal Guide (version 5, 2015) published by The Chartered Association of Business Schools in U. K. (The next edition is likely to be in 2018.)
Select list of trade magazines / non-scholarly periodicals:
Wired is also available in digital iPad format at the Management Circle at Business Library.
Star by Focus Lab from the Noun Project
The Library has a good selection of audio visual materials, numbering about 26,000 items which include feature films, documentaries and other learning resources. The Audio Visual collection is located in the Business Library at Level B2.
Staff and Masters/PhD students can borrow the titles home. Undergraduates can approach the service desk to borrow a title and view it within the library. Here is a step-by-step instruction guide to search for AV titles in the Library Catalogue.
Here are a few AVs that might be of interest to you.
- Novel paradigms in system-level design
Call No.: QA76.76.O63N937
- CEO exchange. Innovators of silicon Valley: conversations in leadership
Call No.: HD38.2.I58
- The key roles of soft computing & fuzzy logic in the conception, design and deployment of intelligent systems
Call No.: E504625
- Setting up an Internet server
Call No.: F508161
- Technologies for portable systems
Call No.: E511546 TAPE 1 OF 4, G511547 TAPE 2 OF 4, G511550 COURSE NOTES, J511548 TAPE 3 OF 4, L511549 TAPE 4 OF 4
Content at a Glance
Current Technology News
All the news websites listed below are free.
- CNET News.com CNET provides current technology news, both technical and IT industry news.
- ChannelWeb ChannelWeb serves individuals and organizations in the ‘technology channel’, including IT solution providers, Value Added Resellers (VARs), integrators and consultants. The site provides current news, technology reviews, a searchable VAR directory, industry overviews, studies & white papers, and an encyclopedia that defines IT terms.
- Mashable Mashable is the top source for news on social and digital media, technology and web culture. It provides analysis of trends, review new web sites and services and even offers social media resources and guides.
- CrunchBase CrunchBase is a free database on technology companies, people and investors.
- TechCrunch TechCrunch profiles startups, review new Internet products and serves breaking tech news.
- BNet BNET.com is the hub of the CBS Interactive Business Network. They provide working professionals with insights for today’s workplace.
- InfoWorld InfoWorld is a good source of information on emerging enterprise technologies.
- Bits Bits is one of the technology blogs available at New York Times covering news and analysis on the technology industry from a business perspective.
- McKinsey Quarterly McKinsey Quarterly is the business journal published by McKinsey & Company. The relevant sections are: Business Technology, covering application management, infrastructure, operations, organization, outsourcing & offshoring, and strategy. Operations covers outsourcing, performance, product development, purchasing, and supply chain & logistics. High Tech focuses on hardware, software, and strategy & analysis.
This is a list of open access academic journals.
- Bulletin of Applied Computing and Information Technology [ISSN: 11764120] Publisher: National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications
- Electronic Journal of Information Technology in Construction [ISSN: 14006529] Publisher: International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB)
- Information Technology Journal [ISSN: 1812-5638] Publisher: Asian Network for Scientific Information
Browsing the Reserves collection
Reserve titles for Information Technology are located in the Business Library at the Reserves section. Each title is marked for a 2-hour loan. Do borrow them with your student card using the self-service machines located within the Reserves section and remember to return them on time as overdue fines are set at S$0.50 per hour.
Searching for Reserves
You can retrieve the Reserves titles by their respective Course Codes from the NTU Library Catalogue.
- Go to NTU Library Catalogue: http://eps.ntu.edu.sg
- Click the Reserves tab on the top right-hand side
- Key in the course code
- Click Lookup Items on Reserve by Course Number.
If you would like to search for Nanyang Business School’s Information Technology – Final Year Project Reports and Industrial Attachment Reports (except for those confidential reports specified by your school), you can use the NTU Library’s Digital Repository, DR-NTU (Restricted Access). You can login using your NTU network username and password to view the full text.
You can browse NBS publications in the DR-NTU (Restricted Access) under:
- NBS Exam Papers
- NBS Research Reports (Staff & Graduate Students)
- NBS Student Reports (FYP/IA/PA/PI)
- NBS Theses
- Exam Date
The Digital Repository, DR-NTU (Open Access) aims to capture, store and preserve the scholarly output of the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and make it available to the global research community. The journal articles and conference paper publications of the NTU faculty in the DR-NTU (Open Access) collection are searchable using Internet search engines such as Google orBing or Yahoo.
You can browse NTU staff publications in the DR-NTU (Open Access) by:
Alternatively, you can search for NTU staff publications in the DR-NTU (Open Access) through theAdvanced Search by:
- Conference Name
- Series/Journal Title
- Research Centre
- Related Organization