Journalism is the investigation and reporting of news through newspapers, magazines, television, radio, websites and other media. It also “informs the society about itself and makes public that which would otherwise be private.” (Harcup 2009)
You may like to watch the following videos to find out more about Journalism:
Literature in Journalism spans a wide range of formats including books, conference proceedings, journal articles, white papers, reviews, stylebooks, guides, handbooks and reports. Newspapers may form a huge part of your research in this field. You may like to check out prominent newspapers in Factiva or LexisNexis databases.
The Asian Media Information and Communication Centre publishes books and journals on mass communication in Asia. Do view the listing of AMIC titles in our Library. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication is also a publisher in Journalism studies.
References Harcup, T. (2009). Journalism: Principles & Practice. London, SAGE Publications Ltd.
Homosexuality and the Media in Singapore
This is a guide for students who would like to start their research on homosexuality and the media in Singapore.
Elections and the Media in Singapore
This is a guide for students who would like to start their research on elections and the media in Singapore.
Resource Guide for Journalism Research
Doing research on a journalism topic but not sure where to look? You may like to explore the materials listed here to get started.
News Media In Singapore
Created by Associate Professor Cherian George, Journalism.sg reports on the news media in Singapore.
Feel free to contact the library for your Research needs such as:
- Enquiries about library resources
- Requests for new resources
- Library orientation & tours
- Instructional classes
- Research Assistance
Tel: (65) 6790 5776
Whatsapp: (65) 8395 0629
Advisory and Consultation:
Get Expert Advice
NTU Library Homepage
Books are printed works which contain consolidated knowledge on a topic.
You may like to BROWSE the book collection or SEARCH the Library Catalogue for a list of relevant titles.
Browsing the collection
The main journalism collection is located in the basement of the Asian Communication Resource Centre. Most of the titles relating to Journalism have the call numbers starting with PN. Please take note that Journalism is a wide-ranging field and you will be able to find related books in other locations too.
Below is a selected list of major Journalism topics and their call numbers:
|Search Terms||LC Class|
|Reporting, correspondence, etc.||PN4781|
Searching for books
Tips on using the Library Catalogue:
- If you know the exact beginning of a book title or the author’s name, search under ‘Title’ or ‘Author’.
- If you are searching for materials on a topic, search under ‘Word(s)’.
- Use Advanced Search to look for items in specific locations (e.g. Asian Communication Research Centre), languages (e.g. Chinese), format (e.g. audio-visuals, sound recordings, etc), type (e.g. DVD, conference proceedings, etc) or published in a specific year.
- You can search by subject heading in the subject field to retrieve a list of books on a specific topic, for example “citizen journalism.”
Selected book lists by subject
Can’t find a book in NTU library?
E-books are electronic versions of print books which you can read on a computer or e-book reader.
Browsing by E-book providers
EBSCOhost eBook Collection
- Broadcast Voice
- The Practical Zone System: For Film and Digital Photography
- New Documentary
- Documentary Storytelling: Making Stronger and More Dramatic Nonfiction Films
Safari Tech Books Online
- InDesign CS4 for Macintosh and Windows: Visual QuickStart Guide
- Photoshop CS3 RAW
- Building a Web 2.0 Portal with ASP.NET 3.5
- The Designer’s Apprentice: Automating Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and InDesign® in Adobe® Creative Suite® 3
- Adobe Photoshop CS3: Up to Speed
- Adobe® InDesign CS3 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques
- Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 on Demand
- The Photoshop® Elements 5 Restoration & Retouching Book
- Writing the Successful Thesis and Dissertation: Entering the Conversation
- Nash Editions Photography and the Art of Digital Printing
Looking for specific e-books in Safari Tech Books Online? Read the guide here before starting your search.
Reference works are not often read from cover to cover and are usually referred to when you need a quick piece of information. The writing style is informative and fact-driven. Examples include dictionaries, encyclopaedias, handbooks and directories. Below are some selected reference works which you may be interested in:
Content at a Glance
Browsing by Reference type
- The concise Oxford English dictionary [e-book]
- The new Oxford American Dictionary [e-book]
- Dictionary of publishing and printing Call No.: Z244.C699
- Dictionary of terrorism Call No.: HV6431.T363
- Dictionary of media and communications Call No.: P87.5.D179
- Advocacy journalists : a biographical dictionary of writers and editors Call No.: PN4871.A648
- Quite literally : problem words and how to use them Call No.: PE1464.H631
- The media and communication dictionary : a guide for students, educators, and professionals Call No.: P87.5.K64
- A/V A to Z : an encyclopedic dictionary of media, entertainment and other audiovisual terms Call No.: P87.5.K93
- The literary press and magazine directory Call No.: Z6513.L776
- The best of the magazine markets for writers : a directory of publications that buy freelance material Call No.: PN4775.B561
- Encyclopedia of journalism Call No.: PN4728.E56
- Encyclopedia of American journalism Call No.: PN4855.E56
- The encyclopedia of censorship Call No.: Z657.G796
- World press encyclopedia : a survey of press systems worldwide Call No.: PN4728.W927
- The international encyclopedia of communication Call No.: P87.5.I61E This encyclopedia is now available online. It is “likely to appeal to two broad constituencies – the generic undergraduate/postgraduate student racing through those ubiquitous communication/media courses and wanting to get more background than the lectures and textbooks, and the specialist exploring connections between communication and other fields (like ageing), wanting a snapshot of information about, say, media in Asia, trying to pin down exactly what Gerbner said and why cultural imperialism gets everyone so worked up” (Hannabuss 2009).
- Guides to sources in American journalism history Call No.: Z6951.G946
- Journalism: a guide to the reference literature Call No: Z6940.C359
- Associated Press guide to photojournalism Call No.: TR820.H823A
- The journalist’s guide to media law : dealing with legal and ethical issues Call No.: KU1065.P362
- Media writer’s handbook : a guide to common writing and editing problems Call No.: PN4783.A754
- Reaching audiences : a guide to media writing Call No.: P96.A86Y59
- The elements of news writing Call No.: PN4775 .K37 2012
- Practical newspaper reporting Call No.: PN4781.H314P 2011
- Interviewing : a guide for journalists and writers Call No.: PN4784.I6S449
- The online journalism handbook : skills to survive and thrive in the digital age Call No.: PN4784.O62B812
- The Columbia guide to online style Call No.: PN171.F56W181
- The American Heritage guide to contemporary usage and style Call No.: PE1464.A512
- Broadcast news and writing stylebook Call No.: PN4784.B75P218
Hannabuss, S. (2009). The International Encyclopedia of Communication. Reference Reviews, 23 (1).
Read news, journal articles, conference papers and theses in these databases subscribed by NTU Library:
Factiva: Provides news and business information. It covers 10,000 sources from more than 159 countries in 22 languages and offers more than 400 continuously updated newswires, including the exclusive combination of Dow Jones, Reuters, and The Associated Press. View its Database information page. LexisNexis Academic: Delivers access to thousands of sources from around the world, covering news, legal and business information and more. The coverage depends on sources, with some going back to 20 years. View its click Database information page. Communication & Mass Media Complete: Incorporates CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State) along with numerous other journals to create a research and reference resource in the communication and mass media fields. View its Database information page.
World Telecommunication Indicators Online: It contains time series data for around 80 communications statistics covering telephone network size and dimension, mobile services, quality of service, traffic, staff, tariffs, revenue and investment. Selected demographic, macro-economic, broadcasting and information technology statistics, and data for over 200 economies are also included. View its Database information page. China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) – 中国知网: This site provides comprehensive and current Chinese information on a world-wide scale, including critical academic articles, dissertations, proceedings, papers and books from a variety of publishers, research institutions, and information sources in China. View its Database information page. Global Market Information Database (GMID): It provides business intelligence on Countries, Consumers and Industries. It also offers integrated access to statistics, reports, topical comment and business information sources. Coverage is global, with research on more than 200 countries. View its Database information page. PressReader PressReader provides access to newspapers and magazines with a simple user interface and easy-to-use navigation tools, displaying them in their original format and layout. It offers instant access to over 1500 publications from 86 countries in 41 languages. Readers can browse full content digital replicas of newspapers, listen to the news, post articles on social networks and translate them in 12 major foreign languages. View its Database information page. Access the full list of Communication Studies databases .
- Download full text@NTU to retrieve full text articles or e-books subscribed by NTU Library seamlessly while surfing the internet.
Academic journals are periodicals which contain research on a particular discipline and are often peer-reviewed. You can search for journals in our collection in the following ways:
1.NTU Library Subscribed E-journals A-to-Z list
If you have a specific journal in mind, always try to find the electronic copy in the NTU Library Subscribed E-journals A-to-Z list first. You can look for a journal in 4 ways:
- Browse the index of e-journal providers (if you are familiar with the journal publishers like Wiley, Elsevier and etc.)
- Search for titles subscribed by the library. E-journal title search can be Title Name, Publisher Name, ISSN, Subjects or all of the above
- Browse by subjects
- Browse a list of free e-journals
The easiest way to locate a journal will be method #2 if you have the name of the journal. For instance, if you are looking for ‘Columbia Journalism Review’, please go to ‘Search’ tab of A-Z listand run a search on the title:
If you do not have a specific journal in mind but want to search by topic, try to search in the databases relevant to Communication Studies instead.
3. Print Journals
If you can’t find a journal in our electronic collection, you may like to check if we have the print copy in the Library Catalogue. Please restrict your search to ‘Journal Title’ to narrow your results: Important Note: Articles titles are not searchable in the Library Catalogue. You can only search for the journal titles. Below is a list of journals relating to Journalism which you may like to browse through: American Journalism American Journalism Review Associated Press Online Columbia Journalism Review Financial Times Journalism & Mass Communication Educator Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly Journalism History Journalism Practice Journalism Studies Pacific Journalism Review St. Louis Journalism Review SAGE Journals: Communication & Media Studies View the category of “Social Sciences & Humanities” to explore a whole collection of Communication & Media Studies journals published by SAGE.
Can’t find an article in NTU Library?
Make a request for it via our document delivery service.
The Audio-Visual collection can be found in Asian Communication Resource Centre, Business Library and Art, Design & Media Library. Please do a search in the Library Catalogue to determine the location. Here is a step-by-step instruction guide to search for AV titles in the catalogue. Some of the AV titles relating to Journalism are listed below. Please click on the hyperlinked titles to check their availability in the Library:
- Control room Call No.: P96.I73C764
- Covering the big story Call No.: PN4781.C873
- Historic newspaper reporter films Call No.: PN4815.H673R
- Historic newspaper production films Call No.: PN4815.H673 Discs 1-2
- Media on trial: story of the storytellers Call No.: PN4784.B75M489
- News war Call No.: C579784 Discs 1-2
- On air : America’s alternative media Call No.: P96.A44N58
- The business of TV news: an inside look – Covering the big story Call No.: A584926
- The business of TV news: an inside look – Sports broadcasting Call No.: A584926
- That’s news to me: transformation of journalism in a wired society Call No.: E579821
- Burma VJ [videorecording] : reporting from a closed country Call No.: B585016
- Page one [videorecording] : inside the New York times Call No.: B587099
Content at a Glance:
Associations & organisations
- Singapore Press Club Networking organization for those working in the media and public relations
- Foreign Correspondents Association of Singapore Organisation of foreign correspondents based in Singapore.
- Magazine Publishers Association of Singapore Representative organisation of magazine print publishing and online publishing industry in Singapore.
- Southeast Asian Press Alliance Non-profit NGO campaigning for press freedom in Southeast Asia.
- Student Press Law Center Advocates for student free-press rights and provides information to students and educators.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations Singapore (ABC) Audit Bureau of Circulations Singapore (ABC) is a not-for-profit organisation to provide independent audit and certification of the circulation of publications to ensure that circulation claims are authentic and comparable. Click for a list of publications audited by ABC.
- AMIC Alternative Media Portal Platform to exchange material among alternative media sources in Asia and the Pacific.
- Journalism.sg Site about media in Singapore, maintained by Assistant Professor Cherian George and students from SCI.
- Journalism.org Reports news and analyses news coverage, run by The Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism.
- Journalism.co.uk Journalism news, job listings and forum with a UK slant.
- Journalism Resources Compilation of links for journalism students and journalists, maintained by the University of Iowa.
- Online Journalism Resource Provides resources for journalists who seek multimedia skills and keen to learn more about New Media journalism.
- Media Development Authority The statutory board of Singapore Government aims to focus on and develop media industry.
- Ministry of Information, Communication & the Arts Ministry of the Singapore Government that oversees the information, communication and arts industries as well as creative economy of Singapore.
- Eye on Ethics Joint project of Asia Media Forum and Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility to discuss ethical issues that confront journalism in Asia.
- Reporters Without Borders A website against censorship and laws that undermine press freedom.
- World Press Freedom Committee A committee that fights against licensing of journalists and forms of news control.
- Citizen.Journalism.sg A website that supports the development of citizen journalism in Singapore.
- Asia Media Forum A forum for journalists to exchange ideas on issues related to the media, their profession and the development of democracy in Asia.
- The Nanyang Chronicle A campus newspaper run and published by the students of Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information. It is published once every three weeks during NTU’s semesters.
- Asia Media This is a daily electronic publication that delivers news about all aspects of media in Asia and run by the Asian Institute of UCLA.
- AsiaOne Contains headline news from Straits Times, Business Times and other local papers.
- I Want Media Provides access to media news and industry data, updated throughout the day.
- Kidon Media-Link Links to 19,577 newspapers and other news sources from almost every country and territory in the world.
Reserves / RBR / Red-spot items are recommended materials, selected by your lecturers, for your courses.
Browsing the Reserves collection
The Reserves collection in CMIL is located next to the Service Desk and can be seen once you walk into the library. Titles from the Reserves collection can only be borrowed for 2 hours at a time and overdue fines are set at 50 cents per hour. Click here to read more about your borrowing privileges.
Searching for Reserves
- Click the Reserves tab
- Select Course ID
- Key in the course code
Looking for final year projects or theses by previous students? You may like to search in DR-NTU (Restricted Access) for student’s works from WKWSCI.
- Please go to DR-NTU (Restricted Access).
- Click on ‘Browse – Communities & Collections’ on the left hand side of the screen.
- Look for Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information under the College of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences.
- You can browse by “titles”, “authors”, “subjects” or “date” or run a search with key terms.
- To view the full text, please log in using your NTU network user name and password.
Journalism FYP Creative Works in NTU Library.
Journal articles and conference papers written by NTU faculty and researchers are available in the open access collection of DR-NTU. This collection is searchable in Google. You may be interested to view the following: Publications from WKWSCI staff Publications from AMIC Many publishers allow self archiving of publications in institutional repositories. Do refer to the copyright policies and archiving guidelines from Sherpa Romeo for submitting articles in DR-NTU.