Business Leadership Seminar Series

A key part of the Nanyang Fellows MBA Programme was exposure to the thought processes of established industry and government leaders as they shared their considerable experiences in keynote seminars throughout the year. This year, fellows were privileged to have three such leaders take the time to interact and share non-public aspects of their achievements.

Jack Sim

After business success within the construction industry and attaining what he calls financial independence, Mr Jack Sim decided to follow his life motto and “live a useful life”. He found an unmet need and established the Restroom Association of Singapore in 1998. Through this initiative, he discovered a larger global need for basic sanitation and a need to synergise efforts in various countries, forming the World Toilet Organisation in 2001. Ever the market-savvy businessman, Jack deliberately chose the acronym WTO that could easily be confused with the much more prominent World Trade Organisation to bring attention to the global sanitation cause. Jack has won many accolades in Singapore and internationally for his work.

With his down-to-earth demeanour and in-the-face presentation style, Jack Sim captivated and inspired his audience of hard-nosed mid-career bureaucrats and business executives. One cannot help but note that for all his earlier financial success in construction, Jack Sim is only known globally today for his achievements as ‘Mr Toilet’ – an epithet he proudly wears.

Alan Chan 

As a member of the elite Administrative Service of the Singapore Government, Alan Chan experienced success as a senior civil servant in a number of appointments in key ministries. His switch to the private sector took place in 2002 when he was appointed Group President of SPH Ltd, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and dealing with the diverse areas of print, broadcasting, internet, outdoor advertising, telephony and properties; within about a year, he was at the helm of the organisation as Chief Executive Officer.

Alan’s example and achievements were particularly relevant for fellows currently within the Singapore public service but pursuing a hands-on advanced business degree like the Nanyang Fellows MBA. Certainly his is a unique path to success, but it serves to illustrate and inspire alternative possibilities available. His personal anecdotes of challenges within SPH Ltd and how he overcame them were certainly not things one would usually read in published interviews of business leaders.

Peter Ho

Peter Ho was at the very pinnacle of public service in Singapore as Head of the entire Civil Service when he retired in 2010. Prior to that, he held leadership in almost every major portfolio within the civil service in Singapore. Today, he passes on this experience and knowledge in the academic positions he holds in institutions at the National University of Singapore and the Nanyang Technological University. He also teaches at the Singapore Civil Service College. In addition, he holds board positions in various Singapore-based companies.

Unlike other presentations which focussed on past achievements or plans for the immediate future, Peter took us into the long-term with his leadership presentation focussed on strategic futures. With several prominent examples, he drove home the point that even long-established and previously-successful companies can be overtaken and tripped up by external factors. This can even lead eventually to the complete demise of these iconic companies. A poignant warning given that we would do well to heed is that “Success is neither pre-ordained nor a permanent condition”.

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/nanyangfellows/files/2013/09/Goh-Kheng-Cheong-Nigel1.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]

About the Contributor – NIGEL GOH

Professionally, I have pursued at least three broad career streams in my career – research (academic and industry), business development (in the context of intellectual property and technology), and government (policy, operations, corporate). I have worked alone and I have also supervised groups ranging in size from two to 150 persons. In the course of my work, I have had to interact with ground and mid-level staff, as well as meet with CEOs of companies and permanent secretaries and ministers within government. On a personal level, I have tried to live in a way that reflects my underlying belief that life does not and should not revolve around me, my aspirations, my rights, or my preferences. This is not to say that these are irrelevant or unimportant to me – but if these predominate my raison d’être, then for me, life would be meaningless. Having a larger life purpose energises and motivates me; it makes life exciting and provides an anticipation of better things to come. Yes, I do believe in God.

[/author_info] [/author]

About Hedren Sum

Hedren Sum is Digital Humanities Project Manager at the Institute of Science and Technology for Humanity (NISTH), Nanyang Technological University. He has developed and led various local and international digital humanities projects with particular expertise in interface design, data organisation, archiving and data visualisation for access and discovery. Hedren deals with different types of data and applies a wide array of data analysis and visualisation methods to develop research data products. He is constantly curious and exploring new ways to analyse, transmit, disseminate, and interpret data.
Bookmark the permalink.