Graduate Studies Blog

NANYANG FELLOWS MBA

BUILT UP MY CONFIDENCE TO CHALLENGE THE WORLD

As Lao Tzu said “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Working for the same employer for a long time has its pros and cons – working as a Thai government officer for more than 20 years, I have gained rich experiences. However, I found myself fearful of stepping out of my comfort zone to explore more.

Over the past two decades, I have worked for Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Industry, and Thailand Board of Investment, where I gained a strong understanding of the Thai economy and how government policy work. When I joined the Ministry of Agriculture, I learnt about how Thai farmers, who are the largest relatively poor population in Thailand, live and how the government has provided support for them.  During my time at the Ministry of Industry, I worked with another class of people in Thai society that are factory owners, and learnt how to promote and regulate the factory. I was later transferred to Thailand Board of Investment where I developed both policy making skills and marketing skills as an Investment Promotion Officer. One of my career highlights was working as an Investment Consulate in New York City from 2012 to 2015.

Being at a career crossroads and seeking for another level of achievement, I knew that I had to take that first step out of my comfort zone.  But, the big question in my mind was “HOW”?

At this juncture, a door of opportunity was opened to me! I was offered a full scholarship for the Nanyang Fellows MBA Programme under the ASEAN Scholarship scheme. The programme allowed me to build relationships with young executives from the public and private sectors from many countries.  Participants of the programme came from many sectors and diverse background. The rigorous curriculum, the support from the faculty and staff, the high quality of Professors from around the world, the access to a strong international alumni network… All these are some of the best assets I have gained during my candidature here at Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University (NTU, Singapore).

Besides the knowledge, connection, and global perspective that I have gained from the classes, the programme also inspired and motivated me to aim higher. The education environment at NTU, Singapore was brimming with business ideas and it lit up a fire in my life. Now that I am equipped with the knowledge that I have learnt from the classroom and the Business Study Mission to Israel and United States, I am confident that I will be able to manage my portfolio in the Thai government with better management capability. I will be able to craft better policies and build a sustainable business.

More importantly, I have built my confidence and I am ready to challenge the business world with my first step!

Article by:
Polapat Naphavaranonth
Head, Economic Team
Board of Investment
Thailand