Graduate Studies Blog

MSC ACCOUNTANCY

HIS TICKET TO AN MNC MANAGEMENT TRAINEE OPPORTUNITY? AN ACCOUNTANCY DEGREE

Barely a year after Eric Shi graduated with a double bachelor’s degree in economics and law from a university in Shanghai, China, he flew to Singapore to embark on the Nanyang Master of Science in Accountancy (Nanyang MSc Accountancy).

However, the decision to pursue the master’s degree certainly wasn’t made overnight. Eric was thinking about it for a few years. He gradually gained clarity about accountancy during his undergraduate studies and from engaging in various internships.

He says, “While studying economics, I took some basic accounting courses and found them interesting and practical. I really enjoyed organising accounting data and translating them into business insights. Then, in different internship opportunities, I tried finance and accounting roles such as financial analysis, audit, forensic and payroll. The work really suited me. I decided then that my next career step should be in accountancy.”

Eric chose Nanyang Business School (NBS) because of its forward-looking approach. For example, the MSc in Accountancy extensively explores the use of technology in the industry with courses like Forensic Accounting and Digital Forensics and Data Analytics for Accounting. It also helps that Singapore has a mature finance sector set in a sunny, pleasant climate, Eric adds.

Though he is only halfway through the programme, Eric has already secured his next job: he will join P&G China’s management trainee programme as a financial analyst. He notes three ways that NBS has helped him in getting the job.

First and most essentially, the programme gives him a strong foundation that is required for industry. Eric recognised the need to strengthen his accounting background and cultivate his own business thinking from an accounting perspective. He says that the skills he is acquiring from the programme have boosted his competency and confidence to further his career in finance.

Second, the school’s Graduate Studies Career Development Office has been training his employability skills. Eric says, “Even before I entered the master’s programme, the Career Development Office already taught us about writing a good resume. We still revise our resumes during the course of study to make them better.” Eric also highlights how the Career Development Office organises events like career talks, mock interview sessions and sharing of advice to sharpen students’ job search. “It’s the kind of practical assistance we need to turn opportunities into positive results,” he says.

Finally, Eric notes that soft skills acquired from the programme—such as in the Business Communication course—come in handy. “As a student from China, I don’t have many opportunities to practise speaking in English back in my country,” Eric explains. “The programme not only gives me more confidence in English public speaking, but also teaches storytelling and effective presentation. These skills are very useful when being in interviews with MNCs and having daily conversations with international colleagues.”

Eric’s longer-term aspiration is to be a financial controller. “I want to deepen my ability to lead teams in carrying out good financial planning and analysis, making the right decisions and improving shareholders’ equity,” says Eric. “All of these require strong professional knowledge, astute business thinking and capable leadership. In the accountancy programme, I’ve been able to grow in these areas. It has definitely been the right path for me.”

Quick tip: Know how you want to benefit from the programme while staying open-minded.

“When applying for the programme, consider how it will help you achieve your career goals. Show that you are passionate about learning and the industry. If you have concerns, feel free to contact the nice and helpful Outreach & Admissions Team. During the programme, there will be many opportunities and resources available, so be open-minded and look out for possibilities!”

For more information on the Nanyang MSc Accountancy programme, please visit our website.