Graduate Studies Blog

MSc Business Analytics

MY JOURNEY TOWARDS BUSINESS ANALYTICS

Article contributed by Ritika Jain, Class of 2021.

I am Ritika Jain, one of the Nanyang Business School (NBS)’s 2020 MSc Business Analytics (MSBA) participants. I completed my Bachelor’s in Engineering in Computer Science from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. Since my high school days, I had always had a keen interest in programming and mathematics. After finding out more about machine learning,  I developed a keen interest in this area. This prompted me to take up a course in python, which paved the way for a successful landing of an internship at Siemens Technology and Service Private Limited.

As an intern, I  received training in R and was assigned to a project where I analysed the temperature of compressors with respect to time. I was then tasked to display the details on a dashboard. Realising how machine learning algorithm is used in a manufacturing and business setup, I set my mind on pursuing a career in Business Analytics. However, not many Indian universities provide training in this emerging field, so I set my sights to pursue my Master’s in Business Analytics overseas. My search led me to the MSBA programme offered by NBS in Singapore. I found the course to be the perfect fit for my career aspirations.

Prior to joining the programme, I realised my lack of experience in the field may be an obstacle in my application process.  This motivated me to work hard on my bachelor’s degree, extra-curricular activities, and GRE. There was a constant struggle between my studies and preparation for GRE. Mugging up those complicated English words and then using them in writing argument essays was the most challenging task for me during my admissions preparations. My efforts were rewarded with a great GRE score.  I then started on my Letter of Recommendations and Statement of Purpose. I got a letter of recommendation from my professor at my university and one from my industry mentor. In the statement of purpose, I was required to answer two questions – my experience and exposure to Business Analytics as well as my motivation to pursue this course and specifically why from this university.

After submitting my application by the second-round deadline in January, I kept my fingers crossed, hoping  to be shortlisted for an admission interview.  After a month, I received the call that I was waiting for!  It was from NBS to schedule an admission interview. That week was the most intensive week of my life. I stopped all my work and started preparing for the interview by revising commonly asked interview questions. On 26 February 2020, I attended the interview and all the tension I had prior to the interview vanished as soon as I met the interviewers – Professor Teoh Teik Toe and Assoc Professor Rohit BhatnagarIt seemed like they were more interested to know me rather than to know how much I have learned so far. They wanted to find out how much interest I have in this field and my goals upon completing this degree. After the interview, they shared their experience on developing this course and how this will complement the current business scenario in Banking, Finance, and other fields.

I received the much-coveted Admission Offer letter in May. If not for the COVID-19 situation, I would have celebrated my successful admission with a night out. Alas, I had to restrict my celebration to my home. However, this did not spoil the joy from the successful admission.

Not letting this pandemic dampened my enthusiasm to start my career in this field, I enrolled myself for the course in Fall 2020. In comparison, the way modules are taught is vastly different from how professors teach in India.   My current course focuses on real-world application. Through the course, I work on projects where I am expected to apply the classroom knowledge to real-world problems faced by companies.

Currently, I am in India and “studying from home”. Despite the physical distance, my professors, classmates and I are overcoming the challenges arising from this pandemic with the help of technology. I keep constant contact with my classmates and my professors from Singapore, Malaysia, China, and other parts of India.

I look forward to physical classes and meeting my classmates and professors in Singapore.

Download MSc Accountancy Brochure

Download MSc Business Analytics Brochure

For more information about the MSBA programme, visit website.