Graduate Studies Blog

NANYANG PROFESSIONAL MBA

Leaping from Manager to Global Leader with the Nanyang PMBA

Upon completing the Nanyang Professional MBA (PMBA) programme in 2021, marketing analytics consultant Vishi Rajvanshi was promoted from a managerial role at PayPal to the company’s Global Head of SMB Performance Marketing Analytics based out of Singapore.

“I was already playing a senior role in the analytics domain, but my vision was to take on a role that requires senior leadership stakeholder management, people management, and the management of a wider portfolio of marketing analytics. I believe the Nanyang PMBA helped me in crossing this canyon,” Vishi says.

With over 12 years of experience in executing global product marketing strategies based on complex data analysis for clients in the entertainment, fintech, consumer technology, and healthcare industries, Vishi was an ideal candidate for the Nanyang PMBA programme, which was designed to transform seasoned professionals with domain expertise into T-shaped leaders.

His new role has expanded his responsibilities extensively, especially in terms of the analytics portfolio he oversees along with people management responsibilities. Vishi is supported by a team of analytics managers based out of India, France, and the United States. He credits the programme’s highly relevant and practical modules for equipping him with the skills to accelerate his career to the next level and manage these broader responsibilities. The insights he gained from fellow PMBA participants with diverse backgrounds and nationalities have also been of great benefit.

He was able to implement learnings right away from modules such as Leading People Globally, Marketing, and Technology & e-Business, and found the Negotiation module invaluable. “I learned skills that are not only applicable in the office but also in day-to-day life to achieve desirable outcomes that work for everyone,” he says. Through the six-month Strategy Projects At Nanyang (SPAN) live consulting project, Vishi also had the opportunity to conduct primary market research, a skill he was able to apply within weeks on one of his company projects. His group worked with a leading provider of bathroom and sanitaryware to evaluate the company’s marketing communications strategy and the influence of interior designers on decision-making by consumers.

Playing an equally important role in his career progression was having the support of his management, who Vishi says “acknowledged the value of the knowledge I have garnered over the last 1.5 years.”

When it came to choosing the right programme for his needs, two aspects of the Nanyang PMBA stood out for Vishi. Firstly, the alternate weekend class schedule allowed him to balance both work and studies. “Considering that my role requires me to liaise with colleagues in various time zones across the globe, it’s impossible for me to give dedicated time to classes on weekdays. The Nanyang PMBA’s weekend classes proved to be perfect for me and gave me enough time to reflect on my learnings.” Secondly, the programme’s world-class faculty and broad-based curriculum covered all the facets required to take up leadership roles.

Reflecting on what he enjoyed most about the programme, Vishi cites the engagement with expert industry speakers, including the CEO of Sqreem Technologies and a Senior Director at Johnson Controls, who shared valuable insights from their experience. He also enjoyed interacting with his cohort both during and after classes. “I think I have made friends who will be there for me for life.”

For anyone considering if the PMBA is the right move for them, Vishi’s advice is to “have a clear vision of your career, map out the steps you need to take to realise the vision, and see how the PMBA can accelerate this journey for you. And once this is figured out, as one of our mentors said, Be A Hustler!”