Graduate Studies Blog

MSC ACCOUNTANCY

3 Reasons Why the MSc Accountancy Is Right for Victor

Victor Goh was formerly practising in a highly-specialised science field. At the time, he began to witness how fast the job market is changing in response to global trends. Meanwhile, he realised his increasing interest in finance. He decided to pursue it further. “I wanted to embark on a course that would make me more versatile in a world of everchanging opportunities,” he says. Today, he is nine months into the Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU) MSc Accountancy programme. Here, he shares three reasons why the choice has been 100% right.

1. NTU: An accelerated, accounting powerhouse

“I have no regrets enrolling into the MSc Accountancy programme at all,” Victor enthuses.

He says that there is peace of mind knowing that the school is not only recognised by the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants, but is also Singapore’s first and most established accountancy school – across Asia, this reputation applies similarly.

In addition, Victor finds it helpful that the accelerated length of the full-time master’s degree in accounting programme is only one year, which means he does not have to worry about being away from the job market for too long.

“The programme has fulfilled me on both the personal and work levels,” he says. “As a retail investor, I find accounting knowledge relevant. The programme strengthens my number-crunching interest and skills, and I can analyse business operations as well as perform valuations on stocks objectively. In terms of work, I can already see how the programme will boost my career prospects. I hope to work in tax advisory and create value for my clients through excellent tax planning, where I help them achieve the highest level of tax efficiency under every circumstance.”

2. From a different field? No worries!

Victor assures prospective students that the MSc Accountancy programme embraces non-accounting graduates with open arms. “I came from a vastly different field but have faced no difficulties in keeping up with my peers,” he says.

He explains that this is because the professors are “really superb at delivering the course content”, which keeps students engaged.

The professors even ignite new passions. “For example, Associate Professor Poh Eng Hin’s vivid teaching style helped me to discover my newfound interest in tax management,” Victor says. “I find it fun to do tax computation and to apply tax laws innovatively to come out with the most tax-efficient solutions.”

He adds: “Often, we hear people say that accounting is a dry subject. But having dedicated, inspiring and knowledgeable professors can truly make a whole lot of difference in the learning experience.”

3. The Career Development Office: the BFF we all need

Victor still has a few months more to go in the programme, but he has already secured a job as a Corporate Tax Associate in one of the Big Four.

He says that the Nanyang Business School’s Graduate Studies Career Development Office (GSCDO) played a vital role in helping him land this dream job.

“GSCDO is a haven of resources. It hosts resume and cover letter-writing workshops, lets us practise through mock interviews and shares many job advertisements,” he explains. “A special thanks to Ms Joyce Liao, who was extremely patient in guiding me and lending her ears when the sky was not blue. Yes, job-hunting can be anything but smooth-sailing, so I am grateful to have GSCDO walk alongside me throughout the journey!”

In his new job, Victor’s responsibilities will include preparing tax computations and tax returns as well as assisting in tax disputes. This is his first career step towards his envisioned future in tax advisory: we applaud his focus and we want to wish him all the best!

Talk to us to find out more about the MSc Accountancy programme. Click here to book an appointment today.

Download MSc Accountancy Brochure