Graduate Studies Blog

MSC MARKETING SCIENCE

Coming to NTU for Your Studies? Support Is Here for You in These Tough Times

Digital marketer Aayushi Vyas was looking forward to the MSc Marketing Science programme at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), where she was slated to join the July 2020 intake. As the global pandemic worsened, Aayushi decided to press on in her path even though there were a few challenges to overcome, in particular, having to serve a two-week mandatory Stay Home Notice (SHN) in Singapore upon arrival from India and managing anxiety along the way. She shares with us her experience and offers tips for prospective students.

SHN can be a real fear for some of us

Aayushi: I suffer from claustrophobia and anxiety, so you can imagine how terrified I was just thinking about SHN!

I was to serve my SHN at a hotel in the downtown area. The day I arrived in Singapore, I suffered a panic attack. I had to call an ambulance on the first night of my SHN and get medical attention at a hospital.

I was sent back to the hotel later that night, but had another panic attack the next day and had to return to the hospital where I stayed for the next seven days. Following that, I served the remaining five days of my SHN in the hotel.

You could say I had quite an unconventional SHN experience.”

I was truly not alone

“Throughout the SHN experience, I received immense support from NTU’s Student Wellbeing Centre, Nanyang Business School’s Admissions Team, the programme lead as well as the contact person from Singapore’s health ministry and the hospital staff.

I would not have been able to complete my SHN without their support. They constantly motivated me stay positive during my SHN.

If you need support during your SHN, do know that you can reach out to the Admissions team for help.”

Practical tips to cope with SHN

“I was advised to do a few simple exercises, especially those that help my breathing.

I also ate well and regularly, and stayed hydrated.

Additionally, I had a consultant from NTU’s Student Wellbeing Centre who kept a check on my mental health throughout the period via video calls.

Everyone goes through a different experience. Most of my friends had a very smooth SHN. However, for people with anxiety-related issues, it’s important to remain positive, reach out for help without hesitation, and maintain a routine of regular meals and exercise.”

Yes, online learning can be effective! 

“The first three months of the MSc Marketing Science programme was conducted over Zoom. Contrary to misconception about online classes being less effective, they are in fact very interactive and engaging.

That is also because the programme content is very comprehensive: while numerous modules cover different dimensions of marketing, we are able to see the big picture of how they integrate with one another.

I particularly enjoyed the AR/VR course taught by Professor Bernd Schmitt and the digital marketing course by Professor Jonathan Briggs. I was exposed to topics that were once completely alien to me, and have gained entirely new perspectives.

Whether through offline or online learning, one can experience the diversity of students in the programme. This diversity taught me the importance of empowering everyone in the group to express themselves, as our different backgrounds can yield so many brilliant ideas.”

Favourite moments in Singapore

“I love the country for its systematic approach to everything. I consider myself fortunate to be here, as Singapore has managed to control the pandemic to a large extent. We were able to start attending physical lessons in small groups since November 2020. 

The NTU campus is also something to look forward to. There is so much space and greenery, and the architecture is picturesque – perfect for taking a walk after a long day.

Sometimes, my course mates and I try out different restaurants to explore one another’s local cuisine – a really fun, tasty, and enlightening experience for all.

Aayushi with her course mates trying out hotpot.

Singapore is a very green city that is safe to explore 24/7. My favourite thing to do is cycle around Marina Bay Sands at night.”

Talk to us today to find out more about the MSc Marketing Science programme. Click here to book an appointment with us.

Download MSc Marketing Science Brochure