Graduate Studies Blog

MSC MARKETING SCIENCE

A Project Turned into an Internship Opportunity for This MSc Marketing Science Student

Market researcher Marvin Halim, from Indonesia, is currently enrolled in the MSc Marketing Science programme at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore). As part of the programme’s Strategic Marketing course, students address various real-world business challenges through individual projects. In Marvin’s case, the business challenge was to help a brand enhance its market position during and after COVID-19. Marvin worked on a proposal for Shiseido Asia Pacific and eventually clinched a role as a regional marketing intern at the company. Here, he shares his story.

Q: Tell us more about your proposal for Shiseido. What were the strategies that you came up with for the company?

Marvin: “We were assigned to carry out a mini research study for Anessa, one of the most well-known sun care brands under the Shiseido Group. The challenge we had to address was: How can this sun care brand maintain a leading position in the Asia market during and after the pandemic, when possibly fewer people are pursuing sports and recreation activities out in the sun.

My strategy proposal involved repositioning the brand through effective communication and enhancing engagement through integrated marketing channels, while incorporating consumer relationship management to increase consumer satisfaction.”

Q: Congratulations on winning the challenge and clinching an internship with Shiseido!

Marvin: “A huge ‘Thank You’ to the faculty at Nanyang Business School and the Shiseido team for the opportunity.

I am very honoured to be awarded the winner of the challenge. It was through this project that I had the chance to showcase my work to the team at Shiseido. I was invited to attend an internship interview with them and I’m pleased to be accepted.”

Associate Professor Lewis Lim (left), Marvin (second from left) and the Shiseido team after Marvin’s presentation

Q: What were some of the obstacles you faced during the project?

Marvin: “Personally, it was no easy task – especially during these unprecedented times. I needed to carry out adequate primary research while combining it with secondary research to create an impactful recommendation.

Moreover, I had to ensure that the methodology chosen is rigorous, and the proposition was grounded on strong insights. It should not simply be a collection of promotional ideas.”

Q: How has the internship experience been for you so far?

Marvin: “No two days are the same! That is exactly how I would describe my internship.

As an intern at Shiseido, I am treated like a full-time employee. I propose strategies and assist my manager in carrying out comprehensive analysis on different markets. I also help the brand to look out for improvements and opportunities.

I am mentored by a great team who would give me feedback on brand management and challenge me to have new perspectives when looking at different types of data and KPIs.”

Q: Which are some of your favourite parts of the MSc Marketing Science programme?

Marvin: “Forging new relationships with my course mates while having fun in Singapore has been the best part of my experience. It’s a pity we can’t travel to neighbouring countries for now, but on the bright side, we get to spend a lot more time together. I believe that we will continue to support one another even after the programme.

For me, the best word to describe the MSc Marketing Science programme is ‘rewarding’. I not only learn the theoretical aspects of marketing but also gain practical lessons by addressing real-world problems and understanding emerging marketing technologies with the newly revamped curricula.

The lecturers are also very knowledgeable and approachable and make me feel really comfortable.”

Marvin with his course mates on a visit to the Singapore University of Technology and Design for a workshop on New Product Development.

Q: Which skills did you gain from the MSc Marketing Science programme that you have found particularly useful for your internship?

Marvin: “The problem-solving skill that I have developed through the programme has prepared me well. Many of the programme’s modules incorporate real-life cases, which make us think strategically and put us right into the shoes of a brand manager.

Another would be adaptability. Being among student diversity in the master’s of science in marketing programme and living in the time of the pandemic, I have learnt to adapt while enhancing my communication skills.

Last but not least, teamwork is important. I have had tons of opportunities to work in groups and I realised the importance of appreciating diverse views. This skill helps me as I work with my team at Shiseido, whether it is to put up a presentation together or carry out in-depth analysis.”

Q: What advice would you like to share with incoming students?

Marvin: “Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I feel that it is a way for you to learn well and quickly.

This does not just apply to a classroom setting – you can also ask questions outside of class and whenever you feel lost or clueless.

The courage to ask questions will definitely enhance your student life in Singapore or anywhere in the world.”

Talk to us today to find out more about the MSc Marketing Science programme. Click here to book an appointment with us.

Download MSc Marketing Science Brochure