Graduate Studies Blog

MSC MARKETING SCIENCE

NTU MSc Marketing Science Student Steps Up to Global Role

Natthaya Narula is a graduate of Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) Master of Science (MSc) in Marketing Science programme. She moved from Thailand to Singapore to embark on the programme and progress to a global marketing role. Here, she shares her aspirations, thoughts on career, and how the MSc Marketing Science progamme has given her the confidence to excel in a global role.

What inspired you to embark on a masters degree in marketing science?

Natthaya: In 2018, I started my career as an Internal Communication Executive at Unilever Thailand. I was engaged in cross-functional collaborations with the brand’s global and regional teams, and exposed to various aspects of marketing. There and then, I fell in love with marketing.

Determined to learn more about the industry and value-add to my professional experience, I decided to enrol in a masters programme that would prepare me better for my dream job.

Why NTU’s MSc Marketing Science programme?

Natthaya: First and foremost, the location. Singapore is close to my home country, Thailand, and Singapore is also an English-speaking city. It is renowned for its education system – one of the best in Asia – and my goal is to live and build my career in Asia.

Second, I was drawn to the courses offered by the MSc Marketing Science programme.

After conducting extensive research among the top three schools in Singapore, I remained intrigued by NTU’s list of current modules offered in the programme.

It turned out to be just as I had expected. I’m now an intern at Unilever Asia based in Singapore, and many of the modules I took have been particularly useful in my current stint.

For example, the module on “Branding” conducted by Professor Sharon Ng has direct relevance to my current role as a brand guardian.

I also appreciate the “Consumer Psychology” module by Professors Elison Lim and Kuangjie Zhang, as well as the “Strategic Marketing” module taught by Professor Lewis. The indepth study into these topics shaped my mind to become sharper and more strategic – it means I’m a lot more efficient at work now.

The programme also prepared me for digital campaign projects at work. The “Marketing Analytics” module conducted by Professor Goh Kim Huat and the “Digital Marketing” module taught by Professor Jonathan Briggs  showed me how to make sense of digital and prepared me for this exciting world that is full of possibilities.

Congratulations on clinching the stint with Unilever Asia right after you graduated! Could you tell us more about your current role?

Natthaya: I’m currently a Global Brand Marketing Intern for Dove Hair, Southeast Asia, where I work with a team of four.

I lead Dove Hair projects across the region for both online and offline platforms, covering a wide spectrum of marketing activities. They include product launches, business reviews, e-commerce, demo executions, managing and analysing marketing assets such as content and digital assets, and developing a consistent brand identity across markets.

I must say I often apply the learnings from the MSc Marketing Science programme in my diverse job activities.

I’m also fortunate to have excellent brand managers who support and empower me to take a leading role in digital campaigns. It’s challenging but rewarding to be given KPIs that I’ll have to meet in just six months.

How has it been like to work in Singapore? How is it different form Thailand?

Natthaya: The key difference between my work in Thailand and Singapore is that I was an executive working for the local market in my country while I’m currently working for the global market here. Both roles have very unique challenges, so it’s more about which type of challenge one prefers to work on.

My work in Thailand is focused on the Thai market only, while in Singapore, I am part of a global team, assisting and guiding other local markets to hit targets and deliver results, and maintaining a consistent brand identity.

Has NTU’s MSc Marketing Science programme helped you to become a more global thinker, which is critical for your current role?

Natthaya: Definitely. Thanks to the programme, I didn’t have a culture shock when I started work in my current role. The programme has widened my global perspective in two ways.

First, I was exposed to a huge diversity of real-life case studies, which the NTU professors always emphasised the importance of learning applications from. By examining these international case studies, I was constantly challenged to think bigger, wider, and from different angles.

We also worked with actual global clients like Shiseido and L’Occitane, and local companies like Shalom Movers. This gave us the experience to rebrand both large and smaller organisations, at the same time adding variety to our portfolios.

Second, the programme encouraged me to keep pace with the latest developments in the field. We learnt to apply different solutions to the most current problems and we were constantly pushed to think strategically. As the world gets more complex, we will need better strategic frameworks to address evolving issues. NTU has given me the confidence that I can face these new challenges head-on.

What is your advice for aspiring marketers?

Natthaya:

The ingredients to a global perspective ­– a mindset sought after by many MNCs – include open-mindedness, curiosity, having diverse experiences, and the enthusiasm to always stay up to date. All of these can be honed through NTU’s MSc Marketing Science programme, where the classroom is also very global.

Still, as much as a masters degree can better prepare us for the industry, it is critical that we each know what we want to achieve and be focused on our ultimate goals. Once there is clarity, go for it. Work hard and smart, remain open to new opportunities, and stay humble to learn from one another, at all times.

Talk to us today to find out more about the MSc Marketing Science programme. Click here to book an appointment with us.

Download MSc Marketing Science Brochure