Graduate Studies Blog

MSC MARKETING SCIENCE

Turning a Crisis into an Opportunity with a Marketing Science Masters Degree

After completing her bachelor’s degree in 2020, Anastasya Silvian was uncertain about her next step as the pandemic was rearing its ugly head and affecting the job market.

Yet this did not deter the indomitable then-fresh graduate, who decided she would take control of her options.

“I wanted to try and turn the crisis into an opportunity,” she says. “Donning my thinking cap, I thought: What if I embarked on a different path from most fresh graduates? Instead of looking for a job, I could pursue further education, which would differentiate me from others in the marketing field.”

She spent some time researching her options before deciding on Nanyang Technological University Singapore’s (NTU Singapore) Master of Science in Marketing Science (MMS) programme offered at Nanyang Business School.

“NTU Singapore needs no introduction. It is well-established in Asia and Singapore is close to my home country,” the Indonesian explains. “Studying in Singapore and at NTU would allow me to take my skills to the next level in a safe, quality, and international environment.”

Joining a Tech Firm

Fast-forward to two years later, and the pandemic had opened up an avenue of opportunity for Anastasya.

She pursued her masters degree during the time of uncertainty,  and recently graduated from the MMS programme just as the world is opening up. In the same month of graduation, Anastasya was hired by Tokopedia, one of Indonesia’s largest tech and e-commerce firms.

Anastasya says, “I’m an associate in the events team at Tokopedia. The ‘live’ shopping industry is new to me, but I’ve learnt so much from the MMS programme, which prepared me to clinch my current role and perform my job confidently.”

She cites the projects, experiences, and diverse modules in the programme as key to helping her ace her job interview and showcase her wide range of skills.

Her favourite part of the job? Having the opportunity to create ‘live’ shopping events in one of the biggest marketplaces in the world.

“I play a huge part from planning to executing the events, so witnessing them materialise is extremely rewarding,” says Anastasya. “The Tokopedia environment is also very fast-paced and flexible, which exposes me to many things. I’m learning a lot every day.”

Combining Analytical and Creative Skills

Anastasya says that her role in Tokopedia requires her to combine both data and creative skills.

“Developing an event requires creativity. We need to make it as attractive as possible. We also need to evaluate the best types of events to execute based on available data and circumstances,” she says.

Needless to say, Anastasya honed both skills in the MMS programme.

Providing examples, she notes Marketing Analytics and Finance for Marketing as modules that “cover the data side of marketing”. Meanwhile, modules such as Advertising and Promotion and Branding impart creative skills. She also credits the Neuromarketing and AR/VR, AI and Robotics in Marketing​ modules for showing her, in depth, the future of marketing.

“I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to have both analytical and creative skills in the marketing industry,” she says. “In the MMS programme, we learnt that the industry is ever-changing. With all that training to think differently, especially through the projects, I’m now adept at ensuring my Tokopedia events always have something new to offer. Still, while creativity is prominent in marketing, data or research plays an equally significant role in decision-making. I apply data skills gained from the MMS programme in my evaluation of my events’ performance. ‘Live’ shopping is an industry that produces a lot of data too. There is much to learn and experiment within the data area.”

Another takeaway from the MMS programme, Anastasya adds, is its focus on the consumer.

“Every MMS module highlights the importance of understanding the consumer – his or her wants, needs, and contexts,” she says. “The consumer makes or breaks a marketing effort. I never forget this learning point and I’m always planning for consumer-first events.” 

Entrepreneurial Aspirations

Anastasya’s long-term goal is to be an entrepreneur. “I feel that through this role, I can pursue my interests, own something, and contribute to the community,” she says.

She believes that marketing will equip her with the right skills to achieve her dream.

“The MMS programme really showed me the possibilities of marketing,” she says. “It’s also practical. If you’re thinking of applying to this programme, go for it. There is no better place than this programme to explore the many aspects of effective marketing.”

Talk to us today to find out more about the MSc Marketing Science programme. Click here to book an appointment with us.

Download MSc Marketing Science Brochure