Graduate Studies Blog

MSc BUSINESS ANALYTICS

Harper’s Top 3 Goals To Achieve In The MSc Business Analytics Programme

Harper He Pei, from China, graduated from Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU) MSc in Business Analytics (MSBA) programme in July 2022. She is now a product data analyst at TikTok Singapore. Here, Harper shares her top three goals while in the MSBA programme and how she achieved them.

Goal #1: To improve her programming skills

Harper began her data analyst career in 2020, where she did stints in China and Singapore, including at companies like Didi and Shopee. During this time, she worked with many data engineers and data scientists and felt the need to improve her programming skills.

She decided on NTU’s MSBA programme offered by Nanyang Business School

“There were multiple modules that included data modelling techniques, which I wanted to learn,” she says.

At work, Harper also collaborated with various operation teams in strategic areas and knew the importance of building up her business knowledge. The MSBA programme met this need through modules like “Strategies for Digital Transformation in Business”.

Hitting the goal: Harper persevered through the programme’s demands through consistent studying habits. She says, “I had a routine. Every day, after my morning exercise, I would get up to speed on the programme by studying the course materials until lunch. After school and dinner with my classmates, I would also take an hour to recap the day’s lessons.”

Goal #2: To experience a new learning and cultural environment

Harper chose to embark on a master’s degree in Singapore to experience a new environment. Before arriving in Singapore, Harper’s work and experiences were based mainly in Chengdu, China.

“The classroom in NTU is global, and getting to know classmates from around the world truly broadened my mind,” she adds. “Through the group discussions, I got to experience so many diverse perspectives.”

Harper desires to continue sharpening her cultural intelligence and is currently doing so through her role as a product data analyst at TikTok Singapore.

Hitting the goal: “It’s challenging but immensely fulfilling to be in a fast-paced, multi-cultural school or work environment,” Harper says. “My tip for those entering a new environment is to participate as much as possible, stay curious, and never be afraid to ask questions.”

Goal #3: To become a more confident professional

Harper’s third goal in her MSBA journey is to be more confident in expressing her opinions.

Through the MSBA programme’s class participation, projects, and group discussions, Harper honed her public communication skills, where clarity and conciseness are essential.

“The knowledge gained from the MSBA programme allowed me to be more confident about my abilities and helped me in my job interviews,”

she says. “Technologies change fast. Courses like ‘AI and Big Data in Business’ were keeping abreast of the trends and enabled me to show potential employees that my skills and knowledge are up to date.”

Hitting the goal: There will always be difficult moments affecting one’s confidence, such as challenging work situations or modules. “I learnt in the MSBA programme that in challenging times, I can seek the advice of others,” Harper says. “During the programme, I sought help from my professors, who were all very nurturing and patient. Understanding that struggle is part of the learning, and growing journey also helps a lot.”

Download MSc Business Analytics Brochure