Graduate Studies Blog

Humans of MBA - Series 3

NANYANG MBA

Humans of MBA – Series 3

Humans of MBA – Audrey

Beyond The Optimum Solution And Switching Perspectives

To Ashlin Sherry, the MBA programme has provided a valuable and unparalleled educational experience. It includes challenging coursework and diverse classmates encouraging critical thinking and personal growth.

Why did you choose to do MBA?

An MBA was never on my to-do list. I’ve always enjoyed working with tech and happily worked on challenging problems that my field provided. However, I realised that I needed to look at the bigger picture.

As an engineer, we are trained to provide the most optimum solution to a problem, but I knew I wanted to make that switch – to move from ‘how do I solve this problem best?’ to ‘What are the problems that are worth solving in the first place?’

To that end, the MBA made the most sense to me. The experience I had so far in the programme has been unparalleled. The opportunities to learn and grow are immense, from the professors who push you to think deeper to the classroom discussions with a diverse cohort who challenge your fundamental assumptions and your way of thinking. As much as I believe that the MBA gives me an added boost to my career and leadership trajectory, I also think that it has moulded me into the person I aspire to be.

Jan Schrempf 

Learning Leadership And Finance Through The Asia Lens

Featuring our exchange candidate from Germany, Jan Schrempf  visited @nanyangbizschool for a semester to take on a variety of MBA modules to expand his skills and knowledge. During his time here, he made the best of his time making new friends from all over the world while exploring different parts of the country.

Why did you choose to do MBA?

Having worked for five consecutive years as a Lean Management Expert in the automotive industry after my undergraduate studies in Economics, I joined the part-time MBA programme at HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management in Germany for the following reasons.

On the one hand, I was looking for a consecutive master’s programme that would help me develop my leadership abilities and switch careers towards finance and business development. On the other hand, I wanted to join a programme that would allow me to deepen my knowledge of Economics scientifically through a master’s thesis, extend my professional network to other industries, and spend a full-time study term abroad.

Being Asia’s top financial centre and providing one of Asia’s best academic programs in business, Singapore and the Nanyang Business School became my primary choice for spending four months abroad as a full-time MBA student to pursue my goals.

Humans of MBA – Audrey

The Power Of Diversity And The Future Of Big Data

In the future, big data analytics will increasingly focus on data freshness with the goal of real-time analysis, enabling better-informed decisions and increased competitiveness. That is when Yu Bin decides to pursue an MBA to hone her business acumen and enhance her technical abilities.

Why did you choose to do MBA?

Three years ago, I decided to join a one-year-old new team in EY, resigning from a major bank in South Korea. At that time, the team had little presence in the data audit industry, but this decision made me start my career as a data analyst and led me to do MBA.

As a data analyst, I was passionate about data analytics and satisfied with my position, pioneering data audit services in Korea, and refining my technical skills. However, I realised I should be proficient in technical skills but generate insights derived from a deep understanding of the business to become a competent analyst.

Hence, I joined NBS, known for its competitive programmes to hone business acumen and enhance technical abilities. In addition, diverse people from different backgrounds motivate me to become a better person, and I believe it is the value of diversity that NBS pursues in this journey.

Humans of MBA – ALi Jenhsuan

Developing A Holistic Skillset For Effective Team Leadership

Tan, Sheng Wei (Jake) is grateful for the opportunity to manage high-profile projects in the hospitality sector but acknowledges that these often-required self-motivation and external team collaborations. Jake feels ready to take on a management role, drawing on his diverse project experience. He believe that pursuing an MBA will help him develop their skills and enhance his ability to lead teams effectively.

Why did you choose to do MBA?

I am thankful for the opportunities I received where I could own and drive high profile projects within the hospitality sector. Nonetheless, these projects are mainly self-driven and/or require me to leverage external team collaborations. With substantial hands-on experience working on projects. I am ready to lead and drive team wins by holding a management role.

I firmly believe that enrolling in the Nanyang MBA allows me to develop my all-round skillset, complementing my core competencies to maximise the impact i can make taking on a management role.

Driving Digital Transformation For Enterprises

Zhou Chenxi (Nancy) has spent four years in marketing and research roles across the automotive and consulting industries. She is passionate about helping traditional industries grow through digital transformation, and that the future success of businesses will be proportional to their ability to harness big data. Nancy wishes to transition into a consultant role to help enterprises transform in the future and pursuing an MBA will help her gain the necessary skills and knowledge to do so.

Why did you choose to do MBA?

After four years exploring marketing and researching roles across automotive and consulting industry, I eventually found the point that I feel passionate about and perfectly combine my undergraduate major – Advertising, and my interest: helping traditional industries to growth through digital transformation.

Successful business decisions should not come from intuition but highly depend on rigorous data-driven reasoning. Except for Internet giants who lead this process, many players in traditional manufacturing industries also begin to seek transformations. Undoubtedly, businesses’ future success would be proportional to the ability to harness big data.

I found it so fascinating to see this trend, and I wish to transition into the role of a consultant to help enterprises to transform in the future. MBA would help me to scale new academic and practical heights lay a solid foundation in business, and establish a global mindset, which will be crucial in this journey.

Nanyang MBA

The Nanyang MBA is a flexible 12-month or 18-month programme designed to fuel your growth into a future-ready leader equipped with the skills needed to excel in a global, digital environment. The programme aims to develop impactful, culturally adept leaders who embrace the connection between business, technology, and innovation to excel in global environments and adapt to each new wave of digital change.