Graduate Studies Blog

“Early Preparation Is Key”: Tips From An MSc Financial Engineering Participant And ASEAN Development Scholar

MSC FINANCIAL ENGINEERING

From an early age, Khor Yuk Liang had a passion for both finance and computing – so much so that he couldn’t choose between the two for his bachelor’s degree. Instead, he pursued a double degree in Commerce (majoring in Financial Technology) and Computer Science, hoping to lay the foundation for a career that could bring both his passions together.

A chance conversation with one of his professors gave him the clue to a uniquely multidisciplinary career path: financial engineering.

“I did some research and quickly realised it was the perfect marriage of finance and computing,” Yuk Liang recalls. “Financial engineering would allow me to apply computational techniques to financial problems, bringing quantitative rigour to financial markets and products.”

After completing his undergraduate degrees, a Master’s in Financial Engineering was the next stepping stone to his dream. “I wanted to fill in some gaps in my knowledge,” he explains. “A good grasp in areas such as statistical modelling, financial instrument pricing, and risk management would help me in my future career.”

We catch up with Yuk Liang as he begins his journey in Nanyang Business School’s MSc Financial Engineering (MFE) programme. Here, he shares why the NBS programme was the right fit, along with his tips for success as a recipient of the ASEAN Development Scholarship.

A rigorous and rewarding programme

Financial engineering draws on a blend of computer science, applied mathematics, and statistical tools to solve investment problems. Since he already had a strong background in fintech and computing, Yuk Liang needed a programme that would build his quantitative skills.

Khor Yuk Liang

“When choosing an MFE programme, my ideal was a highly quantitative curriculum — one that would equip me with the skills to thrive in today’s world of high technology finance,” he explains

There’s no doubt that this go-getter was looking for a challenge. Yuk Liang shares that the MFE programme at NBS drew his eye because of its rigour.

“Compared to other programmes in the region, NBS’s MFE programme stood out to me as being highly quantitative and intellectually challenging,” he says. “With its strong focus on mathematics and computing, interwoven with complex financial theory, I had no doubt that it would give me the skills needed to achieve my career goals.”

Another pull factor was the programme’s collaboration with Carnegie Mellon University, enabling participants to spend an optional term abroad at the renowned US university. “The mini term at CMU is definitely one of the highlights I’m most looking forward to,” he notes.

Only three months into classes, the curriculum is living up to Yuk Liang’s expectations of rigour. He sums up his first couple of months as “rather hectic” – but certainly rewarding.

“It’s taking me quite a while to get accustomed to the extremely rigorous schedule,” he admits. “But everyone around me, including my peers and professors, has been really supportive and motivating. I’m thoroughly enjoying learning as much as I can, and it’s been an incredibly rewarding experience so far.”

Supporting future leaders with the ASEAN Development Scholarship 

To support outstanding candidates in their studies, NBS offers a range of post-graduate scholarships such as the ASEAN Development Scholarship. This partial scholarship is open to citizens of ASEAN member countries outside Singapore, offsetting 40% of tuition fees.

With an impressive track record in leadership, it’s no mystery why Yuk Liang is a current holder of this scholarship. During his undergraduate studies at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), he was Director of the UNSW Alternative Investment Society and organised various venture capital and stock pitch case competitions.

In one memorable instance, he led his team to orchestrate a stock pitch contest with a newly acquired industry partner.

“Though we were a rather young club, we defied expectations by drawing an impressive audience of 200 participants,” he recalls. “It wasn’t just a triumph in terms of attendance – we also generated significant value for the attendees and our new sponsor.”

Yuk Liang also has experience as Vice President Membership for a Toastmasters Club – quite a feat for someone who was once “petrified” of public speaking. Joining the club to overcome his fears, he grew in confidence to the point of organising speech competitions and initiating a mentorship programme for new members. “Today, I no longer see public speaking as a daunting task, but as a challenge to be enjoyed and conquered,” he says.

A stepping stone to career goals 

Asked for his top tips on applying for the ASEAN Development Scholarship, Yuk Liang emphasises the importance of early preparation.

“I decided to apply for NBS’s MFE programme quite early on. That gave me enough time to read up on the programme, attend the MFE student sharing sessions, and talk to seniors to understand what I was lacking prior to starting my application,” he advises.

In turn, the MFE programme is proving to be robust preparation for Yuk Liang’s career in the investment world. He shares his goal of applying his newfound quantitative, analytical, and programming skills to the real world as a quantitative research analyst.

“I’ve always been excited by the idea of applying complex algorithms and statistical models to understand the market, and making data-driven decisions to capitalise on market movements,” he says. “I’m glad that the MFE programme has set me on the right path to help me achieve my goal.”

Learn more about the MSc Financial Engineering programme here