NANYANG PROFESSIONAL MBA

Becoming A Culturally Intelligent Leader In Commodities Trading: Eddie Sng Shares His PMBA Journey

As Eddie Sng moved up the career ladder from commodities trader to director, he realised he needed to adopt a fundamentally different mindset.

A base metals trader by training and background, Eddie was skilled in negotiating commercial contracts, managing key supplier/customer relationships, and making profit and loss decisions. But managing and leading internal teams, he realised, was an entirely new ballgame.

“Trading is about minimising loss and maximising profit; we need a more aggressive mindset,” Eddie reflects. “However, being a manager and leader requires a more balanced approach. I felt that my skill sets and knowledge were lacking.”

As Director and Co-Head at Sorin Corporation Singapore, Eddie currently heads the Global Marketing and Trading team and the Trade Operations team. His position requires him to communicate effectively with diverse employees and colleagues across Southeast Asia, South Korea, China, India, and the Middle East.

To fill the gaps in his leadership know-how, Eddie decided that an MBA programme would give him the proper technical foundation. “An MBA teaches the fundamental theories of management,” he says. “Knowing that each theory is grounded in research would give me the confidence to apply it at work.”

A training that “packs a punch”

Given his trading background, Eddie was drawn to Nanyang Business School (NBS)’s Professional MBA (PMBA) programme for its International Trading track. This specialised track is designed to develop trading professionals into effective leaders, combining industry-specific modules with networking opportunities from leading trading firms.

“I felt that the International Trading track would be a good chance to network with people in my industry, giving me greater value from the Nanyang PMBA,” Eddie shares. “I also wanted to interact with my industry peers and gain their insights on handling certain situations.”

Returning to his alma mater was just the icing on the cake. “I did my Bachelor of Accountancy at NBS,” he reveals. “I know how rigorous the standard is!”

Most importantly, the Nanyang PMBA offered a flexible schedule of alternate weekend classes, allowing Eddie to pursue his studies without sacrificing work and family life. “As a trader, I travel heavily during the week,” he explains. “With weekend classes, I can reach home by Saturday morning and still get to class.”

Undoubtedly, this packed schedule can be demanding to adapt to. Eddie candidly describes his first two months in the programme as “physically and mentally draining”. “The PMBA packs a punch. By the end of the second week, you’ll be thoroughly exhausted,” he reveals. “But it gets better after the first few months of adapting.”

Becoming a culturally intelligent leader

These sacrifices have borne fruit for Eddie. His PMBA experience has transformed his understanding of intercultural relationships, giving him the tools to successfully manage teams of diverse cultures.

“Prior to the PMBA, I never really appreciated that cultural difference needs to have a big impact on my management approach,” he recalls. “Obviously, I recognised that our team in Dubai thinks and works differently from our team in Thailand, for example. But I didn’t consciously try to change my approach when communicating with them.”

One core module on Cultural Intelligence opened his eyes. Pioneered by NBS’s Professor Soon Ang, Cultural Intelligence (CQ) is a globally recognised model that defines a person’s capability to function effectively in multicultural situations. By learning to assess and improve their CQ, leaders can develop their ability to enter new cultural settings and adapt their actions appropriately.

This conceptual framework, coupled with hands-on exercises in class, has given Eddie the confidence to lead diverse teams and engage in commercial negotiations more effectively.

“Now that I have the foundation to adapt my approach, I feel much more comfortable talking to my teams and negotiating contracts with clients of different cultures,” he shares. “While I can’t measure the outcome, I feel more confident in my decisions.”

Broadening horizons with immersive learning

Beyond the classroom, Eddie’s practical experiences in the Nanyang PMBA have sharpened his cross-cultural capabilities.

For him, one of the programme’s most memorable experiences was the overseas study trip to Geneva – a global hub for commodities trade. Designed for​​ International Trading track participants, this one-week trip offers immersive lessons on international trade, sustainable finance, and cross-cultural interaction at the University of Geneva.

“We were able to come face-to-face with a European perspective, which is very different from the worldview of an Asia-based commodities trader,” Eddie explains. “During that week, our class had very robust discussions with the professors – I think they were shocked at how much we engaged and challenged their perspectives! It was probably the most engaging class that we and the professors had ever had.”

Eddie’s class also visited the United Nations Office in Geneva, where they debated ethical responsibilities in commodities trading across different contexts. “Europe is very developed, and one of their most current and widely debated topics is ESG,” he shares. “But for developing Asian countries, for example, there are other key priorities such as income inequality and energy security. We had an exceptionally engaging discussion trying to balance the two perspectives.”

It certainly helped that his course mates had a wide variety of perspectives to offer, hailing from a broad spectrum of industries: healthcare, e-commerce, tech and more. Often, Eddie found himself surprised by their answers and solutions.

“The commodities trading industry is a specialised industry, so the knowledge we have can be narrow due to our work experiences,” he says. “Having the chance to work closely with my course mates has broadened my horizons and made me more balanced.”

An investment with lifelong benefits

Looking ahead, Eddie predicts that he’s only just starting to reap the returns on his PMBA journey. While the benefits may not be immediately measurable, he points out that he will continue to realise increasing value from his PMBA learnings and network over the next 20 years.

“I always tell people: don’t be too focused on the ROI of an MBA over the next two years,” he advises. “I can feel the benefits but can’t quantify them in dollars. For instance, I frequently consult and seek advice from my classmates and professors, who provide valuable advice and recommendations from their individual experiences and networks. You can’t quantify the value of these relationships.”

As a leader who grapples with perpetual uncertainty in a volatile market, Eddie foresees that the confidence instilled in him through the Nanyang PMBA will give his career longevity. “Maybe in 20 years’ time, I’ll still be able to do a good job, connect the dots better, and make wiser decisions because of the concepts I learned and the perspective I gained,” he says. “I am actually confident of this snowball effect.”