NANYANG PROFESSIONAL MBA

How The Nanyang PMBA Let Akira Sasaki Balance Family With Work Success

Between being a father of young children and sustaining a fast-moving career as a Senior Vice President in a major Japanese bank, Akira Sasaki has his hands full every day of the week.

Until recently, Akira led the corporate finance team and fund management for agricultural revitalisation at the Singapore office of Norinchukin Bank, a private financial institution founded by Japanese agriculture, fishery and forestry cooperatives. Akira is also a devoted husband and father, fully committing his weekends and downtime to his wife and two young children.

Between excelling at his high-flying job and meeting the demands of his young family, he already had a full plate – how could he pursue the continuing education he needed for further career advancement?

Akira’s need to upskill

Even with his senior position, Akira was conscious that further professional development was in the cards. “After two years at my job, I hoped to deepen my understanding of diversity in Asia and update my knowledge on management theories and technology trends,” he explains.

“I completed my bachelor’s 20 years ago, so the business environment has dramatically changed since.”

Beyond business theory, Akira wanted to upgrade his ability to oversee a culturally diverse team. “Japanese culture is different from other Asian countries – we don’t argue or discuss,” he explains. “Silence is gold.”

However, his Singapore posting also put him in charge of international staff from Indonesia, Malaysia and other countries, creating unavoidable, if occasional, cultural friction. Further education, Akira felt, would help enhance his leadership and management skills in a cross-cultural environment, allowing him to lead a larger team effectively and expand business across Asia.

After weighing his options, Akira decided that Nanyang Business School (NBS)’s Professional MBA (PMBA) programme represented the best fit for further education. “I chose Singapore for its diversity and Nanyang Business School for its focus on leadership in a global context and its reputation for tech and innovation,” he explains.

Invaluable family support

The PMBA’s 18-month, alternate-weekend programme was a deciding factor for Akira.

“The Nanyang PMBA fit my schedule and allowed me to continue my career without interruption,” Akira tells us. “My extensive weekday business travel meant that only a weekend programme like the Nanyang PMBA could accommodate my schedule, allowing me to attend every module without fail.”

The alternate weekend schedule was particularly important considering the priority Akira gave his family. “Balancing the demands of the PMBA programme, work responsibilities, and family life was immensely challenging,” he explains. “The challenge was in striving to excel in each aspect without compromising the quality of my involvement.”

Akira’s wife supported his decision to take on the PMBA despite the additional workload it meant for her. “My family’s understanding and encouragement were pivotal throughout my PMBA journey,” he tells us.

Picking up the slack at home wasn’t always easy for his wife. “During my MBA, she was sometimes stressed,” he recalls. “After I graduated, I gave her presents to show my appreciation.”

He refuses to tell us what the presents were, simply saying: “They were super expensive!”

Collaborating across cultures

The PMBA curriculum took Akira on a deep dive into global business practices and cultural diversity, which he felt he needed to take on higher leadership roles on an international stage.

The regular discussions, for example, were “very good practice for me to understand diversity – they taught me how to negotiate,” he tells us. His diverse cohort showed Akira how peers from different cultures bargained in an almost diametrically opposed style from his own, which taught him to adjust his negotiating strategy to the cultural backgrounds of his peers.

“I have to know their culture and basic strategy beforehand, so it’s effective for me to negotiate or collaborate with my business partners,” he says. “Now I know the difference in decision-making between Japanese companies and from other countries.”

Akira compares his PMBA experience favourably against his previous experience seeking his bachelor’s degree in Japan. “My previous university experience offered limited opportunities for group work and discussions with diverse students,” he says. “The Nanyang PMBA provided ample chances to collaborate, especially with international companies.”

He particularly appreciated the case studies they explored in class, which “were about real Asian companies, some of which I had interacted with as a Japanese banker,” he says. “I gained insights into their culture and business operations, leading to more fruitful discussions in my professional encounters.”

Akira’s post-PMBA success

For Akira, the most significant lesson learned in the PMBA was the importance of diverse experiences and perspectives; it “profoundly influenced my approach to leadership and strategic decision-making,” he says.

These new skills came in handy when he joined the Norinchukin Bank team that secured a partnership with Temasek Holdings for the Seviora T3F fund.

“Being part of the project team that collaborated with Temasek Holdings for a US$173 million green agri-fund was a significant achievement,” he tells us. “My contribution to the success of this strategic partnership highlights the intersection of my PMBA learnings and practical application in a major initiative.”

With his MBA now in hand, Akira will soon return to Tokyo to take up corporate strategy management for Norinchukin Bank. “Equipped with enhanced leadership skills and a deeper understanding of global business dynamics, I am ready to lead Norinchukin Bank’s corporate strategy management in Tokyo,” he tells us.

Is Akira’s family also happy to be moving back to Japan? “They want to stay; they love Singapore so much,” he confesses.

Nanyang PMBA’s wellspring of deep cultural understanding

Akira never wavered on his PMBA through it all and is now reaping its rewards. “It’s a great opportunity to get a deep understanding of Singapore and also Southeast Asian countries’ culture and networking with diverse cohorts,” he tells us. “This has transformed me into a more adept leader, equipped to navigate the complexities of the global market.”

Beyond the lessons and ensuing experiences, Akira also believes the professors and classmates he met were a key component of the programme’s impact on his career advancement. “These interactions have broadened my perspective and approach to problem-solving in the professional world,” he tells us.

Success in the Nanyang PMBA programme is not guaranteed; he advises potential participants to actively break out of their comfort zone when they get on board. “I’m Japanese, so I’m very comfortable in a Japanese community,” he says. “Joining Nanyang PMBA’s different communities in a different environment may be very tough at first, but it’s rewarding in the long run.”