Ian McGonigle
Nanyang Assistant Professor
School of Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences

Ian is a scholar of Anthropology and Science, Technology, and Society (STS). He is broadly interested in the relationships between science, technology and identity. His current research focusses on the relationships between human genome projects and ethnic identity in Asia.

Ian came to NTU in 2018 with a Nanyang Assistant Professor start-up grant of SG$1M to launch a science and society research group. In 2015, he was awarded a prestigious postdoctoral fellowship by the Israel Institute, which he used to spend a year as a fellow at the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics at Tel Aviv University. He has also been an affiliate of Harvard’s Program on Science, Technology, and Society, since 2013.

Ian has Ph.D.s in Biochemistry (Cambridge 2010) and Middle Eastern Studies and Anthropology (Harvard 2018). He also has a B.A. in Biochemistry from Trinity College Dublin (2007) and masters degrees in Cultural- and Social Anthropology from the University of Chicago (2013) and Harvard University (2015).

Research One-liner

Science and society are mutually constitutive; you can’t understand one without the other

Publications

Chang, C. and I. McGonigle (2020) Kopi Culture: Consumption, Conservatism and Cosmopolitanism amongst Singapore’s Millennials. Asian Anthropology

McGonigle, I. (2019) Genomic Data and the Dividual Self. Genetics Research.101(e12).

McGonigle, I. (2019) In Vino Veritas? Indigenous Wine and Indigenization in Israeli Settlements. Anthropology Today 35(4): 7-12.

McGonigle, I, and S.C Schuster (2019) Global Science Meets Ethnic Diversity: Ian McGonigle interviews GenomeAsia100k Scientific Chairman Stephan Schuster. Genetics Research 101(e5).

McGonigle, I.V. (2017) Spirits and Molecules: Ethnopharmacology and Symmetrical Epistemological Pluralism. Ethnos: Journal of Anthropology 82(1): 139-164.

McGonigle, I.V. and R. Benjamin (2016) The Molecularization of Identity: Science and Subjectivity in the 21st Century. Genetics Research 98(e12).

McGonigle, I.V. (2016) Patenting Nature or Protecting Culture? Ethnopharmacology and Indigenous Intellectual Property Rights. The Journal of Law and the Biosciences 3(1): 217-226.

McGonigle, I.V. (2016) The Collective Nature of Personalized Medicine. Genetics Research 98(e3).

McGonigle, I.V. and N. Shomron (2016) Privacy, Anonymity, and Subjectivity, in Genomic Research. Genetics Research 98(e2).

McGonigle, I.V. (2015) ‘Jewish Genetics’ and the ‘Nature’ of Israeli Citizenship. Transversal: Journal for Jewish Studies 13(2): 90–102.

McGonigle, I.V. and L. Herman (2015) Genetic Citizenship: DNA Testing and the Israeli Law of Return. The Journal of Law and the Biosciences 2(2): 469-478.

Corradi, J., A.J. Thompson, I. McGonigle, C. Bouzat, and S.C.R. Lummis (2015) 5-HT3 Receptor Brain-type B-Subunits are differentially expressed in heterologous systems. ACS Chemical Neuroscience 6(7): 1158-1164.

McGonigle, I.V. (2013) Khat: Chewing on a Bitter Controversy. Anthropology Today 29(4): 4-7.

Ashby, J.A., McGonigle, I.V, Price, K.L., Cohen, N., Comitani, F., Dougherty, D.A., Molteni, C., Lummis, S.C.R. (2012) GABA Binding to an Insect GABA Receptor: A Molecular Dynamics and Mutagenesis Study. Biophysical Journal 103(10): 2071-2081.

Thompson, A.J., McGonigle, I, Duke, R., Johnston, G.A., Lummis, S.C. (2012) A Single Amino Acid Determines the Toxicity of Ginkgo biloba Extracts. The FASEB Journal 26(5): 1884-1891.

Lummis, S.C., McGonigle, I., Ashby, J, Dougherty, D.A. (2011) Two Amino Acid Residues Contribute to a Cation-π Binding Interaction in the Binding Site of an Insect GABA Receptor. The Journal of Neuroscience 31(34): 12371-12376.

McGonigle, I., and Lummis, S.C. (2010) Molecular Characterization of Agonists that Bind to an Insect GABA Receptor. Biochemistry 49(13): 2897-2902.

Other affiliation(s)

Nanyang Assistant Professor, School of Biological Sciences, College of Science

Expert Areas
Ethnopharmacology; Middle Eastern Societies; Philosophical Anthropology; Science, Society, Technology

Research Interests

Research Category
Social Sciences
Research Sub-category
Research/Studies on Asia, Sociology
NISTH Assigned Topic Groupings
Fighting inequality
Affiliated Sustainable Development Goals
GOAL 3: GOOD HEALTH AND WELL-BEING – Ensuring healthy lives and promoting the well-being for all at all ages is essential to sustainable development.
GOAL 8: DECENT WORK AND ECONOMIC GROWTH – Sustainable economic growth will require societies to create the conditions that allow people to have quality jobs.
GOAL 9: INDUSTRY, INNOVATION, AND INFRASTRUCTURE – Investments in infrastructure are crucial to achieving sustainable development.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals, were adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030.
Last Updated
08 Apr 2020
Last Updated
13 Sep 2020