January 12

A Curious Experience

It is a curious thing to have your research be recognized beyond the classroom, and this is especially true when the course paper had been written on as unorthodox a topic as hair and its representations in art. A peculiar introduction, certainly, and yet strangely apt in encapsulating the humble beginnings of what would culminate in a surreal and exhilarating experience in Dublin, Ireland.

Shantini, Sherry, Jian Kai, Alexis and I at Phoenix Park.

It was an honor to have been invited to attend the 2022 Global Undergraduate Awards Summit as the Regional Winner in the Art History & Theory category. The three-day conference summit has proven fruitful, and I am immensely grateful to have been part of a platform that brought together a group of like-minded students, each so well-versed and devoted to their disciplines. Their shared love for academia resonated with my own in ways that I had never encountered before. As a double major in English Literature & Art History, and part of the University Scholars Programme (USP) that unites students of various faculties, interdisciplinarity lays at the heart of my work and life, though in practice they have rarely traversed the boundaries of the humanities. Nonetheless, the fluid conversations held with students across all fields of study at both the summit and in my time in USP has continually affirmed my belief that no discipline is truly self-contained.

Throughout my time in NTU, I have been exposed to new perspectives that have inspired me to seek out novel and niche topics to explore, and I constantly find my knowledge carrying across modules. It is hence paradoxically both serendipitous and predictable that the art history paper I submitted to the Undergraduate Awards was inspired by and founded upon a prior research paper undertaken in SP0048 “Global Histories Through Masterpieces”. That module holds a special place in my heart, partly because Professor Walsh had allowed us to write about anything that piqued our interest, but mostly because he had told us that “if you keep writing, I will keep reading”. This was a statement I was later told I had taken “a little too literally”, and which I shall always remember fondly as a testament to my professors’ genuine desire to nurture and take interest in their students’ passions.

Much like the humanities curriculum, NTU-USP emphasises elective-based modules, allowing for creative freedom while providing a critical foundation through core modules in the first and second years. It is only now, in my final year of study, that I am fully able to appreciate the tolerance and open-mindedness with which my professors have regarded my wild ideas and proposals. More so than pushing me out of my comfort zone, they have provided me a conducive and safe environment to expand the boundaries of my knowledge at my own pace to my own whim and design, and for this I am eternally indebted.

NTU-USP has been extremely supportive in providing extensive funding to attend the conference, and it heartens me to know that the program and school truly care about the development of its students, recognizing the unique value of attending an in-person conference summit.

Finally, I would like to extend my gratitude to the Global Undergraduate Awards, the School of Humanities, URECA, USP, and all the professors who have nurtured me in my time as an undergraduate student. Lastly, I wish to thank Professor Michael Walsh, for whose module the winning paper had been formulated, and who has been an immense source of inspiration and influence on my research work.

The NTU award recipients with Jim Barry, Chairman of the Global Undergraduate Awards.

Submission by:

Ng Xin Le, Year 3, ELAH

Posted 12 Jan 2023, Thu by NTU-USP in category Students