A Personal Reflection on Meaningful Service

Last week, alongside my fellow NTU-USP peers, I embarked on a transformative journey that led me to the 11th University Scholars Leaders Symposium at the United Nations Headquarters in Bangkok. It was a much-needed pause from the whirlwind of exchange programmes and work commitments that had consumed my past year, allowing me to reflect, once again, upon the significance of community service.  

Amidst a sea of insightful voices, one speaker’s words struck a resounding chord within me. “The act of volunteering itself is not innately destructive. It is the act of volunteerism that when used as a tool for supremacy, pity, othering self-interest; it creates psychological, mental, spiritual, and physical harm to those on the receiving end of the service,” said Breauna Doraus. This triggered a profound reflection on the nuances of community service and the power dynamics often intertwined within. 

Indeed, I have previously witnessed this very phenomenon of the savior complex subtly weaving its way into well-intentioned acts of service. It’s the assumption that we know what’s best for others, that our help is a beacon of salvation in their lives. It’s an attitude that, however unintentionally, creates a rift between the giver and the receiver, diminishing the individuality and agency of those whom we aim to support.  

People are not your projects. What I took away from Doraus was to reframe what volunteering or service meant – Instead of thinking “what you are saving this person from”, think instead about “what barriers are you breaking down for these people” ; what obstacles can you help dismantle. This transformational shift requires us to step back, to acknowledge that those we serve are not passive recipients of our benevolence. Instead, they are active participants in their own journey, deserving of respect, dignity, and the opportunity to collaborate in crafting their own narrative. It simultaneously necessitates an introspective examination of our motives, ensuring that our actions are driven by a sincere desire for positive change, devoid of perpetuating power imbalances. 

Now if you find yourself presented with the opportunity to volunteer under the University Scholars Programme, perhaps with SSP or at FOP CIP, I implore you to reflect more deeply upon this. Consider how your actions can contribute to meaningful service, contemplate the intentions of your actions, and reflect on the lasting impacts that your action may bring. 

As university scholars, potential future leaders, entrepreneurs, and change-makers, I believe we have the power to reshape the narrative surrounding the act of service. So let us, as mindful individuals, approach service with a genuine heart and a drive to empower, to uplift, and to make a difference. 

Last but not least, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to NTU-USP for affording me the privilege of attending this eye-opening symposium, which not only broadened my perspective on service but also instilled a renewed commitment to making a positive impact. 🙂  

Submission by: 

Koh Rei Min Ashley, Year 4, CS