February 16

National Friendship Day

Every February, people across the world unite to celebrate the wonderful connection that is friendship. In the vibrant community of NTU-USP, this celebration takes on a special meaning as we reflect on the connections that have shaped our academic journey and beyond. In honour of this milestone, we asked four NTU-USPians to pen a heartfelt note to a person who has had a profound impact on their lives! Let’s explore these heartfelt statements of thankfulness and companionship.

To: Leanne (Y1, BUS)

Hi Leanne, hope you have a Happy Friendship Day! When I first entered university, I was worried about facing unfamiliar faces and making new friends. Turns out fate had an amazing surprise in store for me. I first met you through the NTU-USP Freshmen Orientation Programme, and we had so many commonalities despite our coming from 2 different backgrounds – you graduated from Junior College and me from Polytechnic. Studying the same Business course, having similar timetables, and staying just two doors apart in Hall provided many avenues for us to get closer to each other! I was initially afraid coming into NTU Nanyang Business School since it was one of the biggest business schools in Singapore, I wasn’t sure if I could find someone who would be there for support. However, it was through NTU-USP that provided me the opportunity to find a likeminded, kind-hearted and caring individual. I could still vividly recall first interaction was during NTU-USP freshmen orientation where we got to know our peer in the same major. We became closer during challenging times in university life, especially for the tough Statistics project we worked on together. I’m so proud of us for overcoming these academic obstacles together!

Thank you for the support you provided for our studies, be it understanding course materials or teaming up for group projects, I’m glad to have a friend to navigate our first semester in NTU with! It was inspiring to have worked together with you as you showed such a tenacious spirit amidst our projects and assignments. As we continue with our journey in NTU-USP, I hope our friendship will be a pillar of support, be it emotional or academic support, for each other! Let’s strive to thrive together throughout our time in university!

Love,

Hasveen (Y1, BUS)

We love statistics!

To: Dason (Y2, ECPP)

Hey Dason, have a Happy Friendship Day! I am so grateful to have met a wonderful friend like you at NTU-USP. Coming from 2 different majors, with you studying Economics and Public Policy and Global Affairs and me studying Accountancy and Business, I thought we wouldn’t get along because we had different interests. However, I quickly found that difference to be insignificant and our common experiences mattered more in building friendships. It feels only like yesterday when USPresents (NTU-USP’s annual theatre production event) just ended. I remember the countless rehearsal sessions during summer where you poured hours and hours into perfecting your lines and stage movements. After weeks of rehearsals together, I am very proud of your journey going from being an amateur at theatre to taking on the part of our lead character.

Another core memory of mine was our recent adventure with other NTU-USP batchmates to Hanyang University Korea for Winter School. From watching the new Single’s Inferno season on New Year’s Eve to wearing traditional hanbok at Gyeongbokgung Palace during -9°C weather, and to eating the same peanut cream bread every day during our entire trip. I’m glad to have spent my winter school experience with you! Thank you for the unforgettable experiences and our precious friendship.

Soon, we will both embark on our exchanges. I’m happy that you got your first choice in the NTU-USP Study Abroad Programme and will be spending a semester in Kings College London! Although we’ll be thousands of kilometres apart, I am excited to watch you grow from this experience! Let’s watch Season 4 of Single’s Inferno when we’re both back!

The commendable efforts you’ve put into NTU-USP, leading you to be our very own NTU-USP Club 10th Executive Committee’s Academic General Affairs Director is truly inspiring! I certainly enjoy going to the events you organised, like the UrExchangeSharing event last semester that got me thrilled for my own exchange experience. Thank you for your hard work!

Here’s to more laughter, iconic moments, and new experiences in the future!

All the best,

Amanda (Y2, ACBS)

1 last picture before our USPresents showtime!

To: Zi Xuan (Y2, DSAI)

Hi Zi Xuan, Happy Friendship Day! I enjoy and treasure all the great times we have had together and all the laughter and joy that you bring to everyone. Reminiscing about old times, I’m grateful for the many opportunities to bond and get to know each other through NTU-USP. From being a senior organising your Freshman Orientation Program and hiding in disguise as a “fake freshie” to our late-night game nights and supper sessions, we have grown significantly closer to each other where we can talk about anything under the sun or moon.

One significant memory I must mention was our recent embarking on the Travel Overseas Programme (TOPS) together. Travelling to Sapa, Vietnam for TOPS as a Group Mentor (GM) was an incredible journey of self-growth and leadership for both of us. Thank you for your support as we guided the freshmen’s TOPS research and planning logistics behind the scenes as part of the committee of TOPS GMs. Moreover, your unwavering dedication to the NTU-USPham community as NTU-USP Club 10th Executive Committee’s Alumni, Career and Student Outreach Director is truly something I am proud of. Thank you for your contributions!

Also, thank you for the wonderful memories on our winter exchange where you were always willing to lend support whenever needed. It’s truly a blessing to have you not only as a junior but also as a close friend that I can always rely on you for support. As we reflect on our journey, once again, I wanted to thank you for the special times we had together and the accomplishments we celebrated. Here’s to continued growth, success, and more unforgettable times ahead!

Best regards,

Aaron (Y3, PSMA)

Our first not-too-serious picture 😀

To: Jing En (Y1, CS)

Hey Jing En, Happy Friendship Day! I am grateful to have met you through NTU-USP! NTU-USP has been home to me for the past 4 years, where I have made friends with people both younger and older than me. I feel thankful to have become friends with such a talented and sincere individual like you. Being a Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information (WKW) junior, close friend, and musician partner of mine, we have come a long way! Our first interaction began during the NTU-USP admission period when I was your student buddy to share more about the student and campus life experiences before applying to NTU-USP.

I recall being excited to welcome you into the newest class of Year 1 Students at NTU and I was extremely excited and happy that my paired buddy decided to apply to NTU-USP and got in. Being a part of the NTU-USP band with you, our many harmonious fusions of musical exploration helped to deepen our friendship. Each band practice session to performance has created an endless source of joy and inspiration for both of us. For instance, rehearsing together for NTU-USP’s annual back-to-school event and how we are in the midst of practicing for WeeJam, well known as Wee Kim Wee School of Communication band. This will mark a significant accomplishment for us as well as for you as a Year 1 who will be embarking on an external gigs event at Thryft.

I am proud to see your growth as a friend and a person in NTU-USP, from our initial meeting, when you were thinking about applying to NTU-USP, to our current close friendship. I am deeply grateful to NTU-USP for providing me with the greatest and most genuine friendships, and I treasure the sense of community that exists within this second family.

Best wishes,

Gaby (Y4, CS)

Our first B2S (Back to School) Event!

Friendships in NTU-USP are special because it is our differences that make our bonds stronger. Learning alongside peers from different faculties push us to think deeper and beyond what we already know! With our tight-knit community, friendships across faculties and batches like the ones featured are common and celebrated. Let Friendship Day be a day to cherish the bonds we have in our lives! If you haven’t yet, drop your friend a message wishing them a Happy Friendship Day!

Posted 16 Feb 2024, Fri by NTU-USP in category Uncategorised