JISC Process Chart for Using Images
JISC (Joint Information Systems Committee) Digital Media developed a process chart for using digital images, as shown below. While it is not an exhaustive assessment of all situations, it is a useful guide to “navigate around the key issues associated with the use of images” and help to decide whether an image can be used for a particular context or situation.
Image from JISC Digital Media.
Some of the key questions to ask when deciding to use an image include:
- Is the image covered by any license?
- Can I download and use that image?
- What are the conditions of use?
- Can I alter, crop, modify, remix this image?
- Can I print, distribute or share the image or my works using the image?
- Do I need to attribute (or cite) the image use?