Renewable Energy Integration Demonstrator-Singapore (REIDS), an initiative led by Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and supported by Economic Development Board (EDB) and National Environment Agency (NEA), is the first micro-grid in the region and the largest hybrid micro-grid in the tropics. It will test and demonstrate the integration of solar, wind, tidal, diesel, storage and power-to-gas technologies, and ensure these energy sources operate well together.
Micro-grids can meet the need for electrification of hundreds or thousands of islands in the Southeast Asian region that are not connected to the main power grid because they serve as independent energy sources for offgrid and island communities. For example, Indonesia is aiming to install micro-grids that will bring electricity to 90 per cent of its off-grid population by 2025.
In addition to rural electrification, these micro-grids can also help to stabilise the main power grids and provide energy when there is a power outage in the main system. Because micro-grids can be isolated and have independent energy sources, they are less vulnerable to problems in the larger system.
- The Renewable Energy Integration Demonstrator – Singapore (REIDS) is a Singapore-based R&D platform dedicated to designing, demonstrating and testing solutions for sustainable and affordable energy access-for-all in Southeast Asia.
- Paving the way towards sustainable multi-activity off-grid communities, REIDS fosters systemic research and development in the broad energy arena in support of Singapore corporate and public stakeholders, thereby strengthening their position on the rapidly growing renewable energy and microgrids markets.
- Test and demonstrate, at a large-scale level, the proper integration of a broad range of renewable energy production – onshore and offshore, energy storage and rational energy end-use technologies to provide for the supply of a wide palette of industrial, commercial and residential loads.
- Provide an emblematic neutral setting research and development platform benefiting private and public sector entities in support of their on-going efforts, as required for prototyping, testing, large scale demonstration and eventually show-casing activities along the complex energy technology and product development cycle.
Prof Hans B. (Teddy) Puttgen
Belinda Liang Huimin
Prof Choo Fook Hoong
Business Development Manager
Strategy for Excellence
- Solving engineering, economic, environmental and societal energy transition challenges for off-grid communities.
- Partnering with Southeast Asia private, public and civil society organizations.
Microgrid systems demonstration and equipment testing
- Implementing large-scale microgrid system demonstrates under Southeast Asia climatic conditions.
- Designing and executing equipment performance assessment tests in a neutral environment under in-the-field operating conditions.
Outreach: engineering support, seminars, presentation & publications
- Broadly disseminating the REIDS message in Southeast Asia: conference participations, seminars, executive education – Singapore and off-site.
- Road-mapping energy transition strategies in Southeast Asia.
- Enrolling REIDS public and private sector members in Southeast Asia.